O/T deathpaste Haram?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maggie
O/T deathpaste Haram?

I am not sure if this topic has been started before, last night I was trying to find a definative answer as I get alot of Sudanese and Arabs asking for deathpaste and I would really like to tell them that it's haram or at least a sin to use. I know that to damage your body is sinful and forbidden (like fasting while pregnant for Ramadan). I also read that A) that the Prophet (PBUH) told men not to dye their hair black B) hair dye, like nail polish is haram. So those two points would lead me to believe that "black henna" is haram. Could any of the Sister's give me some insight please? It's one thing to tell them it's banned and dangerous but perhaps I would get further by backing it up with religious reasons not to use it.

Jen
Re: O/T deathpaste Haram?

Nail polish is forbidden because its on the surface and interferes with proper washing. The black stuff dyes skin rather than staying on the surface just like henna so that argument won't help you much. Dying hair black, is problem with hiding one's age, so I don't think that will help either.

I would keep pictures of the kind of scarring it can cause handy, and go that route. Also, the black stuff is NOT the plant that Muhammad found so pleasing. Its a chemical that has nothing to do with henna! 

None of this has given me movement with the women from Sudan in my area though. The always say, "but the red henna dosen't work on our dark skin!" The only way I've been able to convince them is to give them a free sample with careful insturctions on after care. They still would RATHER have something that comes out black, but at least I can get them to understand that natural henna will really color their skin if done correctly.

Rosa Mimosa

Nail polish or wearing nail polish is not haram.   However, it will invalidate wudu if not removed prior to the ritual washing required for prayer.  Menstruating and post-childbirth women often get their nails painted as they do not have to pray.  Once again, nail polish is not haram.   We must be extremely careful when using the term "haram" since when improperly used it often creates misinformation, friction and as a result can create unnecessary problems for one another. 

With regard to the horibble PPD laced "black" that the Sudanese are known for, all that a responsibile negassah or henayah can do is to continue to educate and inform about the harm fake henna can do and to refuse to have anything to do with the substance.  Fine, detailed designs do not reveal themselves well on dark skinned women, but bold, thick patterns develop well.  Zardosi, gilding, tumeric, body paint also are modern techniques that are vibrant on dark skin. Whether the "black" is haram or not is debateable, although the general consensus is that if something is harmful it should definitely be avoided (makruh). 

Just as a professional hairdresser will advise against blonding, straightening or other chemical applications for certain clients, and a good dressmaker knows how to accentuate her clients assets instead of flaws, the henna artist has a duty to her clients even if it dissapoints them.

Sudanese women will continue to use this harmful substance until they decide it is unhealthy.  Many American women use damaging heat and chemicals to do their hair and then go out in subzero temperatures with their head uncovered.  Some women still embrace "pain for beauty".  

Jen

I'm pretty sure that women from all over the world use unhealthy heat and chemical treatemtns. This is not unique to American woman. Also, judging by experience in sales for Mehandi.com I can say there there are an awful lot of American women taking a lot of care to use safe, natural products on their hair. Over generalizations cause the spread of missinformation and create friction and unnecessary problems.

Nicole

Haram is a very strong word, and unless you can find scholarly opinions on it, it could be a dangerous thing to bring up.  Personally, I believe it is haram, because of what you said, risking your body.  But if you're explaining this to people who don't take the religion seriously, it might not matter.  The nail polish thing, as Jen mentioned is for our ablutions, which is why colouring your nails with henna is halal.  Also, the hair dye thing, some scholars say you're not allowed to dye your hair its natural colour to enhance or deceive, it's not really specifically relating to the colour black.

I usually tell people, "it might be haram, or at least makrooh, but if you don't care about that, look what it can do" and refer them to the countless scar pictures.  Also, you can point out that it's not natural, and it's bad for the environment, all reasons that SHOULD matter to Muslims.  I'm heard some ladies say that their nails crack when they use the black henna, so maybe ask them if they've noticed that happening, and if they still think it's a good idea.

Otherwise, maybe you could look into khidab or some alternative.

Most of them are pretty stuck, but I find you can get through to the younger ones easier.