Glitter/adhesive breakthrough!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
estavash
Glitter/adhesive breakthrough!

I was playing around with glitter and body glue this evening, and I tried something new that worked really well... I dug up an old calligraphy pen, thinned out a little glue with a couple of drops of water, and used the glue like ink.  It took some experimenting to get the glue consistency right, and it didn't go on quite as easily as ink on paper, but it was sooo much easier than using a cone or a brush! (I haven't tried jacquard bottles with the glue, but the very thought of trying to clean glue out of those tips gave me a headache.) The diluted glue seems to be holding the glitter on just as well as glue at regular thickness... the only drawback I found was that the fine, thin lines dried very quickly and were hard to see, which made it hard to compose a good design.  I think I may add a drop of food coloring next time.

So maybe this is an old technique, and I just didn't know about it... there's also the possibility that it seems so easy to me because I did calligraphy for years before I took up henna. Still, I hope this idea may prove useful for someone out there.

Here's a picture of my first attempt:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellenshenna/5652813574

I was learning as I went along, so hopefully my next try will look a little more polished.

Ellen

www.ellenshenna.com

Maggie
Re: Glitter/adhesive breakthrough!

Nicely done Ellen, it's a really good idea! I've never gotten over my terrible hand writing but my hubby does calligraphy so it'll have to be something he tries. I got tired of trying to clean the tips of the jac bottles and gave up on the glitter tattoos but they'd be something I'd love to offer. Hmm.

Jen

Cool idea! Thanks for sharing! How did clean up of your pen go?

Sunshine Henna
Wow! That came out very nice. How long did it stay off before it flaked off? Can you post a pic. of the pen you used? Did you just dip it in the glue, glitter solution? Kymberlee
estavash

Pen cleanup was a snap-- I just soaked the nib in 99% alcohol for a minute, then wiped it clean.  Note-- I would _not_ use a fountain pen for this!  I just used a standard cheap calligraphy pen... the nib was a better quality one I bought online when I was serious about calligraphy, but I suspect that for this purpose the ordinary speedball nibs from the art store would work just fine.

Instructions can be found on the Henna Page and elsewhere-- just not with the pen.  Basically you draw or brush on the medical adhesive, wait a minute or two for it to dry, then dust the whole thing with glitter.  In my case, I thinned the glue slightly (about 3 parts glue to 1 part water) in a small dish, and dipped the pen into it.  It's waterproof, and if you're careful it can last for several days.  I slept with the glitter on, and did dishes this morning, and so far it's staying on as well as designs I've done with a brush and full-strength glue.  I'll see how it lasts in the shower this afternoon.

Here's a picture of the pen, as requested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellenshenna/5655514538

I hope this helps,

Ellen

Jen

Brilliant Ellen. I can't wait to try it!