Rain, hummidty, henna :-( paste question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
AgnesAnne
Rain, hummidty, henna :-( paste question

Hello,

I'm sitting here watching the rain pour down from the sky. Later this afternoon I'm supposed to apply henna under a tent at out local Relay for Life. We're supposed to have showers on and off all day. I'm afraid this might not work out. I figure I can still do hands or fingers... but will it take forever to dry? Will it get wet again and smudge...:-(

I had mixed my henna earlier this week: 100gm henna, 7 tsp dextrose, 5 tsp EO. I'm worried that with the sugar and the hummidty level it may never dry. What do you think? Would it help to add more henna powder?

I'll have at least one blowdryer. I'd plan to seal them with glue, but I'll bring paper tape with me.

desertholly
Re: Rain, hummidty, henna :-( paste question

at 7 tsp dextrose to 100 gm henna, that's not much sugar, so I wouldn't worry about that part of it.  the rain smearing it is another thing altogether.  have fun, though!  just make sure everyone you henna has an umbrella : )

Jen
Re: Rain, hummidty, henna :-( paste question

I think your sugar is just right for damp weather, however I'm a little worried about glue for a seal. IME glue also can take ridiculously long to dry in humid weather. Spray hair gel might be a better solution... If I were you I'd have a back up plan anyway.

Good luck!

AgnesAnne
Update Re: Rain, hummidty, henna :-( paste question

Whew, what a day/night! The weather forecast predicted nasty storms so they quickly moved the Relay for Life Walk to a large indoor sports arena. We were set up by 5:30 and had a line until 130 am when we called it quits due to brain fog. Our little henna spot drew more visitors than other at the walk! We set out a jar for free will donations " from $1- $100". As newbies I wasn't confident enough to name a price. Even with kids coming to us over and over for $1 designs we raised $190 last night! (The decorate a cupcake table, shirts and engraved stones raised $32 total). We had photographers around us constantly. I hope I'll be able to see some of the photos

As the night wore on, and the humidity increased the paste took longer to dry. I'm glad I picked up some serious  freeze type hair spray. It looked great and quickly and tolerated the bumps in the crowd.

We played with glitter gel and glitter powder from henna caravan, gilding past from mehandi.com and some home made gilding paste. I like the version we made with straight hair gel rather than gel plus glue. I also like mixing it in a zip seal bag... I could see and feel any clumps and it was easy to get it all into the cones and jaq bottle. We used patterns from the Five and tenners e-books and from CCJ's free ebooks.

We learned a LOT.

1 3 chairs are not enough - we pulled in extra so folks could sit and dry until we could spray them.

2 Have identical books- our pages got all messed up. (hide those cool patterns you brought to show your friends aiaiaia, we were over our heads with some, but we told folks up front we were newbies and everyone was pleased with our work... it may have been the price though, lol)

3 Have sign up sheet to keep the line manageable - lines grow exponentially when your back is turned.

4 TAKE a BREAK - block it out on the sign up sheet. And don't eat where you can see the people milling around or you may feel to guilty to take a decent break.

5 It's so much FUN!!! I loved it. Katie and I work together so well

I'll post some pictures when I get them!

Gail