Henna makes CNN, but...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alexandra
Henna makes CNN, but...

Hey everyone, 

I found a news blog on CNN of a reporter getting henna in Cairo to celebrate the "Day of Victory".  Really cool to see this on CNN, except for the fact the henna looks like black henna from the picture.  I really hope that is not the case.  What do you think? Black or not? 

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-558405?ref=feeds/oncnn#

Malynda
Re: Henna makes CNN, but...

The gal who wrote this says the stain is brown, but wow, that really looks like black henna.  It doesn't look like paste at all, but a flat, glossy black paint.  The container the artist is dipping into looks like used engine oil and her fingers are stained black/brown, not orange/brown.  The author's statement of "very dark brown" on her arm also indicates an adulterated paste.  From what I've heard, it's very hard to find henna in Egypt that is chemical-free.

Alexandra

Yeah, I read her response. She did say dark brown, but from her statement it's hard to say whether the reation was immediate or not.  It would a shame for it to ruin her celebration. I left her a message letting her know the difference between natural and black henna, and warned her to take precaution and if she noticed any skin irritation to seek medical attention.  Poor thing. 

Malynda

I took the "very dark brown" description as either the color of the stain or the color of the paste.  Very dark brown color on a forearm is rare.  Very dark brown paste would mean A) the dye is exhausted and won't stain or B) the paste is adulterated with a brown chemical dye.  Either way, it sounds bad to me.  Not everyone has a bad reaction to PPD at first, so hopefully she takes your advice and learns the difference between the two.  You did right by posting PPD info to her report. :)

Alexandra

Did the PPD info show up on the comments section?  I cannot see it anywhere and thought it didn't post. 

Maggie

Well I'd say I'll bet my wages from Sunfest that it's "black henna" but I am not in Sunfest this year lol.

Seriously though I will bet anything this crap on her arm is PPD laced. I saw an Indian girl using almost the exact same tar-like substance with a wooden stamp back a couple years ago. It's not anywhere close to natural. It would be super if CNN educated it's reporters just a little bit before they send them off into countries the reporter knows nothing about.

Last year I had a vendor try to assault me when I called her on her use of "black henna" and you know what her first excuse was? "They use it in Egypt" yeah they used to stone people to death in Egypt, they used to use lead around their eyes in Egypt too but neither of those seem like good ideas either.   *And now I step off the soap box*