sugar/rice paste for guilding

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
mystygirl
sugar/rice paste for guilding

Catherine made a brief mention of using a sugar/rice paste for guilding, but in her instructions it only talks about using hair gel. Does anyone have a recipe for the sugar/rice paste? I need something natural that lasts longer than aloe gel.

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: sugar/rice paste for guilding
We have two products from Mehron at mehandi.com that do a great job ... Mehron Metallics and GlitterMark. The Metallics have pretty good longevity. Glittermark has volume that doesn't go flat. There's a hair gel at Sallys that's my favorite ever for making gilding paste: Hold It! Super Hold Gel. All those will all last longer than aloe gel. If you want really long lasting gilding, use body paints from Temptu (available at mehandi.com) . If you paint into your henna with Temptu (Scheherazade stuff) and spray it down with Curead liquid bandaid spray, the color will last as long as your henna.
mystygirl

Thank you Catherine, I'm sure they are great, but I was looking for a natural paste. I was wondering if it would be something like adding sugar to Nori paste?

CCartwrightJones
admin

Nori worked well for me, but it dries very slowly. Adding sugar would make it dry more slowly.

mystygirl

Thank you Catherine. I guess I'll have to experiment. I do love experimenting! The other day I made a sealant out of my homemade rice paste and honey. I hennaed my eyebrows last night, brushed on my new sealant, slept with it on,.and awoke this morning without a crumb having detatched. I really love it. It's not at all waterproof of course, but it's flexible, and not tacky like lemon/sugar. The first time I tried it was on the top of my foot. I sealed it, and went around for hours not worrying about it at all. It's really a seal-it-and-forget-it kind of thing, and totally natural, which is important to me. I'm still working on the proportions, but, like I said, I love to experiement.

ladytetsu

try it with another sugar, like jaggery or unrefined cane sugar.  Honey has natural peroxide in it that can inhibit stain.

mystygirl

I tried honey because it is a humectant, and the rice paste by itself contracts as it dries, thus pulling the skin uncomfortably, and cracking the henna. Do you think sugar would keep it moist enough? Funny that I knew about the peroxide, but didn't even think about how it might affect the stain. Actually when I tried it on my foot it did come out lighter, but I assumed my paste was weak from too many days in the fridge. Thanks for the reminder Ladytetsu :)