Anyone had success using powdered citric acid?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
wulfwen
Anyone had success using powdered citric acid?

Howdy!

I am using Ragisthani Monsoon, and having the dickens of a time getting it to stain well.  I am using lemon juice, cajeput/thyme/rosemary terp and dextrose.  If I add enough lemon juice to get a good stain, it makes the henna too thin.

Has anyone tried using citric acid powder?  I have some from cheesemaking, so it is foodsafe type.

What do folks think?

Thanks!  Wulfwen  :)

Malynda
Re: Anyone had success using powdered citric acid?

Stick with lemon juice and look instead at your essential oil ratio and dye release time.  1 teaspoon of e.o.'s to 3 rounded teaspoons of powder (roughly 20 grams) and a sit time of 18 - 24 hours at 70F-80F and keeping the paste on your skin for 4-8 hours will usually do the trick.

wulfwen

Thanks!  That is a lot more oil than I've been using - maybe that is the problem.

Wulfwen  :)

ladytetsu

ha ha, I just met a Wulfwen sitting her laurel vigil, that wasn't you, was it?

Any acid will do, except ACV/plain vinegar tends to be veeeeeery stinky.  I tried citric but gave it up because bottled lj was lazier.  Worked fine.

Mani

From what I remember of other people trying citric acid in their mixes, you have to be careful not to over-acidify your henna.  Too much acid can kill your stain.  I agree with Malynda; try adjusting your terp levels before messing with the acid component.

Desdemonas Designs

Mani is exactly right.  Its too easy to over acid your paste with the citric acid, when I was messing around with it, that was exactly what happened with me.  Too much acid and therefore shitty stains.

Deborah

fireflii
I just switched to the citric acid powder and love the results.  Lemon juice is too drying for me and I was constantly experimenting with different teas, juices, and often I used hibiscus powder, but no matter what I tried, the results were not consistent, and it seemed all too often I would not get a dark stain no matter how long I let it sit.  Frustrating.

My water is pretty awful, but a good shower filter helps a lot.  Also, I use Reverse  Osmosis water (basic bottled water) to mix my henna.  Anyway,, used the citric acid, let it sit in a warm room for 14+ hours and got a gorgeous stain, better than I could usually get with all the other mixtures I tried.  I often see people saying they only dye release for 8-12 hrs, but I have never been able to get a good stain in that amount of time.

It was NOT drying at all... but I do think it is probably important to use only the 6 gm per 100gm of henna.  I have very dry hair, but had zero problems with the citric acid, as a matter of fact I loved it and intend to continue using it. 
WednesdayRowan
Thank you, all I have been having a problem finding quality Lemon Juice, too many local stores are stocking only the cheaper "store brand", poor quality everything including lemon concentrate. Natural lemons seem to inconsistent, some more citric than others.. and the pulp.... Opened a bottle last night to mix henna (not a regular thing for me) and it was bad. I wondered if I could use citric acid, I have it on hand, make my own scrubs and soak tabs (manicurist) and I wondered if I could use that instead of having to hunt for a store with "Real Lemon"... looks like it does not work as well sigh.... I agree, grades of citric acid vary. The source I used years ago went out of business, the last batch I purchased, mixed to the same quantity for a manicure scrub... burned I had to adjust the recipe a lot and it is less abrasive (to the degree of abrasiveness needed to exfoliate) to keep it comfortable (no burning... though the exfoliation was magnificent ;-) pity making clients burn is not a good thing ). will need to find a different source next purchase and maybe try for a sample...
Jen
Citric acid is a good solution, but for me -I've been using cheap store brand concentrate for 8 years. No problems. I even did a color test with it against real lemons and it came out darker and longer lasting. I did not test against store brand, but I'm very confident that I get good results.