lavender, tea tree or eucalyptus oil?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
sailor
lavender, tea tree or eucalyptus oil?

hello,

i want to buy oil for my hennamix. But searching on internet i read that every one has its favorite.

so i want to know wich of the three gives the best and darkest stain.

Lavender, tea tree or eucalyptus oil?

thanx sailor

Jen
Re: lavender, tea tree or eucalyptus oil?

Freshness and purity are really the most important factor. Tea tree has the most impact on stain of the three you mentioned in my opinion, BUT if the tea tree is years old and the lavender is fresh I'd change my mind pretty quick!

Blurberrybuzz

My preference is a 50-50 mix of lavender and tea tree.  I buy Wynmere certified organic oils and I think it makes a big difference in the smell.  I also choose Lavendula augustifolia - true lavender instead of Lavandin - which is what most lavenders are.  In addition to choosing a good smelling oil that provides awesome terping power, is getting the ratio right.  I use 1 part oil to 6 parts dry henna powder.  Other oils I've used give great stains too.  Rani oil from Magical Mehendi and Aegean dream from Henna Caravan both smell great and make for crazy dark stains.

my henna stains

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blurberrybuzz/5235527436/in/set-72157625737...

Victoria

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

Jen is right that old oil could be less useful, but to me the more important question is what smell do youlike?

Lavender is heavenly, cajeput is not too bad, tea tree makes me nauseous, and eucalyptus is not so good .

you can also do a mix to tone down the noxious smell of tea tree with some lavender .

sailor

thanx everyone for your comments.

The problem that i have know is that there is only one shop where i live that sells the oil.

the oil that they sell is also a bit expesieve so thats why i wanted to know wich oil is the best so that i can take the right one at once.

I think that im going for tea tree.

But seeing the beautifell stain of victoria i think im going for both.

thanx sailor

sailor

hello,

wel i went yesterday to the shop to by oil.

when i was there i was holding the tea tree and came up with the thought of maybe this isnt really meant for skin. so i went to a worker there and asked here if it was safe to use it on skin. she looked at me and said that this product was actually used for its aroma. so i asked but its pure essentiel oil. she said yes and asked me for what i wanted to use it. I said that i wanted to put it in my henna. she looked at me and asked what efect does it gives then. i said that it gives a darker and longer stain. she siad if its for that use she would recommend me other oil in stead of tea tree, somthing like almond oil. i said that ive read on the internet that lavender, eucalyptus or tea tree gives the best stain. she said that there is a chance of allergic reaction to tea tree and she recommended me lavander because thats a bit saffer then tea tree.

Im all confused now and ended up with buying nothing. and my other problem is that that shop is the only one that ive found that has essentiel oil. aah im so annoyed.

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

almond oil will do nothing for your henna at all, and may make it worse.

why not buy online ? you can be assured of getting the "good stuff " and having nice dark henna stains.

ladytetsu

I agree with Flavia, buy online!  Store-bought oils may have sat on the shelf forever, and they tend to be in teensy bottles so you pay more for less.  They're also often mixed or folded, since most people do buy them for scent, and we really want pure stuff to put on people's skin.

Oils are not all the same.  What we want for henna are oils have have alcohols (not like drinking or rubbing) called terpineols in them.  Those terps are what makes the stain darker, not the oily feel.  Almond, olive, jojoba, coconut, etc oils have NO terps in them.  Lavender, cajeput, tea tree, eucalytpus, etc have those lovely terps.  The terps make up part of the smell, which is why the last batch smell very strong and the first set don't smell like much of anything.

I'd also recommend looking into cajeput oil.  I use it a LOT.  It's good terps, it doesn't smell bad to me, and it's got a lower reaction rate than cloves or eucalyptus can.  I use lavender or no oils for pregnant ladies.

Cindy

If you can't wait to order from a reputable Henna Supplier then get Tea Tree. It works great and is easy to find and there is only one kind so you will get the "right" kind. However, I don't care for the smell and neither do my girlfriends. Once I switched to Rani Oil they were so happy. If you order on line consider cajaput oil. I find the smell much more tolerable than Tea Tree and it works great. You can order fabulous smelling blends from many Henna Suppliers (Mehandi shops, Henna Caravan, Magical Mehendi) if you can wait a few days and you won't be dissapointed. When I was first starting out I was impatient and ended up spending more money on the wrong things instead of waiting and ordering the best and correct things the first time. Learn from MY mistakes. Good luck.

Cindy

Maggie

Well I just have to wonder that if the employee didn't know what effect the oils cause how would she think she's the right person to direct to you another oil? I mean seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about it's best to say nothing. And yes sweet almond will ruin your paste and not help with the stain at ALL. It would be like adding olive oil. Listen to the people who know the science best, that would be HP..order online it's usually cheaper and you're not going to have someone confusing you with nonsense.

essentialoils

Lavender is the most gentle, easy to find, and cheap. It's not as strong for darkening as others. Any essential oil that's safe for skin and contains terpines is what you need.

While Eucalyptus oil is best for darken the henna colour. Mix 4-5 drops in your henna pest.

[edited to remove commercial link]

Maggie

Tea tree oil has been found to be most effective for stain darkening compared to eucaluptus. This info is posted here on HP.

sailor

thanx for your tips.

i know that essentieel oil works with henna but my problem know is that i cant find it anywhere here in holland. only one shop, but i dont know for sure if that product is safe fr the skin. i did get some sites where i can order it online but with the payment of shipping it will get where expansive for me. ;(

just experimenting with lemon juice and tea know.