Ready made henna paste in a cone?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
theredcat
Ready made henna paste in a cone?

Hello!  I'm a pesky brat who's just been introduced to beautiful mehndi body art and I LOVE it! My friend gave me a spare "Dulhan Mehendi Cone" (at least that's what it says on the sticker xD), and it's already got the henna paste ready inside it.  But I'm running out! ;A;  So I was wondering if there was an alternate to buy online?  A cone with the henna paste ready inside?

Or if not, then what henna paste would you recommend?  (Because I've been researching about mylar triangle sheets and henna recipes but, I really don't wanna burden my mom with all these purchases just for my new love-affair with mehndi ;u; Also we live in the middle of nowhere so there are no cool Indian or Middle Eastern stores around...)

S-So yeah!  Please help? <3  (also it doesn't have to be a big cone!  I think the cone has about 20-40g of paste in it?)

EDIT: I found this site? http://www.hennamehndi.in/buy-henna/buy-henna-powder/buy-henna-paste/

It's Amazon.com? So does that seem trustworthy? ;u;  I'M SORRY it's just that I don't really make a lot of online purchases, and I wanna be absolutely sure and yeah... //cry

Maggie
Re: Ready made henna paste in a cone?

theredcat, the best thing I can tell you is that unless you buy your premade cones from a reputiable seller (many members here at HP also sell henna, Mehandi shop here at HP also sells ready made paste) then there is no way of knowing what is in the paste you're using. And believe me there are some terrible ingredients even in "dulhan" (popular name product name btw). As unPC as it sounds I wouldn't trust a single premade cone that came out of India, Pakistani, Middle East or Africa. And even some N. American cones scare me. You would be best off to find an trustworthy artist who sells paste or shop here. I am pretty sure if your Mum knew what kind of dangers you're putting yourself through by using the cheap, easy to buy cones she'd be far more happy to pay a bit more (and it really is only a bit more) and get something that won't posion you.

ladytetsu

I can only add emphasis to everything Maggie said.  I make it my personal mission in life to kill all deathpaste (yes, I even call it that) use in my own small rinky podunk town.  Not because I like selling paste to folks, although I do, and generally for less than the crap costs, but because I've seen too many girls running around here with itchies and big red blotches or scars.  Making your own actually winds up being FAR more cost-effective for the amount of paste you get.  If you invest $8 in good powder, $10 in good oils, a roll of tape and a $2 roll of mylar, you can make fifty or so cones out of it, freeze them, sell them to friends, or just play for a LONG time.  So it winds up being about $0.40 a cone! You spend how much on one Dulhan cone? AND you KNOW what's in your own - so if you put it on someone else's body you're not potentially poisoning THEM - which is, of course, a very bad idea.

You can get the oils and powder here or from any number of us, you can get some mylar/cello even at big box stores like wal-mart, they keep it with gift-basket and wrapping stuff.  I personally like Hobby Lobby's big rolls, especially when they're half off.  Cut up one big roll right and you can get several hundred cones out of it for 2-3 bucks!

lkumle

Is she really supposed to (or allowed to) sell them?  My understanding is that people can buy from Mehandi.com (which is really the only site I trust so far) so that they can have others pay them to apply the paste, but that they can't turn around and sell what they just had ordered.  Maybe that only applies to things in their finished or raw form (i.e., henna powder and hair sticks) but not to something that you've done something with, such as adding lemon juice, tea and essential oils.

Mani

I have ordered and re-sold henna powder many times, usually to friends or customers who are unable to order online for one reason or another.  I do not mark up the price, I just sell it for what I paid for it.  I, and many other professional artists, also sell filled cones for clients to have fun with.  The Mehandi shop, Henna Caravan, and Amerikan Body Art are just of few of the reputable suppliers of safe, chemical-fee, pre-made henna paste that can be found online.  Or she could try mixing her own with some of the 'almost free" samples from Mehandi.com, they are a great way to try it out without spending much money.  

Mani

Where are you located, theredcat?  There may be an artist near you that could help you out, either by selling you some good professionally mixed paste or with learning to mix your own.  You'd be surprised how many artists there are out there, even in and around dinky little nowhere towns (like the one where I live).

theredcat

Ah, thank you everyone!  I was wary at first, especially after reading about black henna, so I'm glad I came here to clear up some things.

And I really would love to mix my own paste but I'm so clumsy and terrible I can't even boil an egg right.  //ONLY SORTA KIDDING MAN, SERIOUSLY.

FFF but really thank you guys!  For the warnings and advice and omg, this was so helpful AAAH <3  I'll browse around the suggested sites and see if mom and me come to an agreement.

OH, and @Mani, I live in Texas!  (The bottom part near the very tip.)

Anyway, thank you all so much again!  //EXCITED<3