Moved to a new climate, need some advice

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rosieferret
Moved to a new climate, need some advice

Hi everybody! No one probably knows me but I've been stalking the hennapage forums for roughly 6 years, used to post under the name Rosiecat (got a new pet ;) ) on occasion. Anyway, I've always been interested in henna but never did much but minor paper doodles. Well it's time to change that! I recently moved to a new state and what better time to turn over a new leaf and really pursue all the hobbies I have been putting off? Maybe you guys can give me a hand with getting started :). I have a package of yemen henna that has been sitting in my freezer since fall of 2005, it's even still in the original green bag CCJ shipped it to me in. I know the stain is probably mostly dead by now, but that makes it perfect for doodles and practice! I need help modifying my recipe though. I just moved from Corpus Christi Texas to Wellington Colorado and the climate is vastly different. Talking going from 90% humidity to around 40%. Will I need to use more lemon juice? And how much sugar should I be using? I'm looking to mix up around 5-10g to see how it does. I'm probably not going to terp this first batch until I see if it's still alive. Also, I don't have the money to spend on some cone material right now, but do you think that a sandwhich baggie made stiff with masking tape would do for a cone in a pinch?  Thank you anyone who can help me.

LemonSugarHenna
Re: Moved to a new climate, need some advice

Hi There Colorado! This is Santa Fe NM saying I have to use way more sugar in my mix, and a bit more oil to get a dark long lasting stain. Sugar is one to one with henna powder and oil is like one tsp to 2-3 TBS of henna.

Jen

"Sugar is one to one with henna powder and oil is like one tsp to 2-3 TBS of henna."

Wow! That's a heck of a lot of sugar! That would make tar in my neck of the woods. Just goes to show there's really no Simple answer for every one.

barefootgirl

Regarding the cone,  I remember someone saying they used potato chip type bags......

Margie

Welcome to Colorado!  I live in Colorado Springs and find that adding 1 teaspoon fructose and 1/2 teaspoon EO for each tablespoon of henna powder works well for me.

The amount of lemon juice depends on the consistency you like for your paste, but I'd guess you'll be using more there than you did in humid Texas!

There are some fun and friendly henna artists in the Denver/Colorado Springs area.  We have occasional meetups in South Denver or Castle Rock.  Email me if you'd like to be added to our list:  margie at hennabymargie dot com.