Is Victoria (BlurberryBuzz) still around? I have a question!

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sarah
Is Victoria (BlurberryBuzz) still around? I have a question!

My fiance and I recently found out that we're having a baby girl. I was thinking about henna-ing some baby clothes when I remembered that you had posted pictures of some henna'ed onesies for your baby. I can't remember how you did it. Can you refresh my memory please?

Blurberrybuzz
Re: Is Victoria (BlurberryBuzz) still around? I have a question!

Sure!  I like to henna, paint and bleach pen garments.

Henna on baby clothes
onsies, t-shirts, pants, hats, mittens - pre wash first and put a magazine or paper shopping bag between the layers.
You can either use old body art henna paste or mix a batch of henna with just henna and lemon juice or henna and water.  Put the henna in your favorite tool - cone/bottle, and henna away.  Let the item dry.  Using a press cloth - I use muslin cause it's cheap - press the garment on the highest setting of your iron.  Then flake off the henna paste and press the garment inside out on the highest setting of your iron.  Let it cool and wear it.  One thing to note, baby puke kills the henna stain.  Even heat set stains, so henna the back of the shirs and onsies.  Hats are great because you can get 100% cotton hats inexpensively.  Cotton/poly blends do not stain as well.

Paint on baby clothes
I'm cheap so I use craft acrylic paints.  I thin them out with water in a small plastic bowl.  Then I wet my garment and wring it out.  I pop an old magazine between the front and back of the garment and start painting.  Brushes and sponges work great.  I get my spray bottle out and spray it with more water letting the colors run.  It's fun to hang the garment different ways to get the cool effects of running colors.  Once the item dries, you can wash and dry it and it's ready to wear and pretty colorfast.  This is supposed to me a watercolor impressionist style lacking in difinition.

Bleach Pen on Baby Clothes and gear.  Demin or canvas bags, cotton baby slings, bibs, hats, and all garments.

Put a magazine or folded up paper shopping bag inbetween the layers of the clothing.  Shake your bleach pen well and then squeeze some into a cone or jac bottle.  Apply the design and let it sit until it reaches the color you desire.  Take the protective layer from between the layers of the garment and submerge the garment in a tub or basin of cool water.  Let it sit a bit and then remove the dried bleach.  Rinse well and pop through the wash. 

Have fun and share pictures.

baby hat   http://www.flickr.com/photos/blurberrybuzz/4408301908/in/set-72157623146...

onsie front   http://www.flickr.com/photos/blurberrybuzz/4317339331/in/set-72157623146...

onsie back   http://www.flickr.com/photos/blurberrybuzz/4317341521/in/set-72157623146...

bleach pen shirt  http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=455979822647&set=a.455979022647.2...

have fun hennaing all sorts of stuff!

Victoria

Sarah

Thanks so much! I'll get pictures up as soon as I can.

Sarah
Sarah

Ok. Followed your instrutions and they came out a decent mahogany color. I ran out of lemon juice starting my paste for the weekend's henna party, so I thawed one of my frozen cones with terped Celebration henna. I had a tough time getting the fabric to let go of the dried paste (probably thanks for the fructose in it). Some of my thinner lines didn't come out at all, so I'm going to go over those parts again today to darken them up a little. Will post stain pictures after the second go-round.

Sarah
desertholly

for cleaning up the smudge, would the bleach pen do it?

Sarah

I thought about that, but I'm not sure how henna and bleach interact. I'll have to do a test run on a scrap piece of fabric, I guess.

ladytetsu

a test run is a VERY good idea.  Also try peroxide or oxyclean if you already use it, soak it good and scrub it a bit and see if it lightens.  Whitening toothpaste, ground in and slightly dampened, might also help.  Any method that won't trash the fabric will take some time, be patient.  You might have luck going back and forth with vinegar and baking soda, but mess with too much chemisty and you might eat at the fabric!

Nicely done!

Blurberrybuzz

That stain near the collar is stuck.  I doubt you'll be able to get rid of it.  I've found that bold simple lines are more effective than fine fill when working on fabrics.  Cotton especially needs bold lines.  The knit of the fabric on onsies doesn't like fine stuff.  If the garment is brand new, henna sometimes has trouble with the sizing.  Make sure you wash it first.

I've never tried the beach pen to get rid of a henna stain.  I'm not sure how it would work.  I also hate the gerber onsies.  I like working with the Target brand "Circo" onsies best.  The fabric is a bit different than the Gerber products.  I also picked my hats up from Dharma and they are 100% cotton and stain really well.  You might also consider hennaing a silk blanket for baby.  Silk blankets can be spendy, unless you know how to sew, but henna is amazing on silk.

Victoria

Blurberrybuzz

One other tip in working with cotton knits.  Use the tip of the cone to sort of scrub the henna into the fabric.  You'll get a much better result.  It takes some care to not mess the design. I usually do this while I'm laying the lines.  It helps to get rid of the odd gap in the lines.

Victoria

Sarah

Thanks for the tips! They're Faded Glory brand because that's what WalMart had on sale, lol. If I can't get a test run to work on smudge removal, I might see about changing the pattern by the collar and blending it in a bit. Maybe.