Dye release when it's cold?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sarah
Dye release when it's cold?

I have a henna party this weekend (just for fun with some friends) and I need to mix my paste. I normally set it on the kitchen counter because we keep the room around 78 degrees and it gives a nice color.

However, in an effort to save money on the electric bill this winter, we're keeping the thermostat below 75 degrees. How do I get my henna to cooperate when it's cold?

ETA: I plan to use Celebration henna because that's what I have on hand, if that makes a difference with dye release times. I'm also not going to be using any oils in the paste - I'm pregnant and one of my guests is allergic to lavender. So it'll be just henna, lemon juice, and fructose.

Jen
Re: Dye release when it's cold?

Celebration does tend to be a little quicker than some others... I would say check it after 6-8 hours, even when its cool! Could take 12 or more depending on your mix and the exact temp. Don't let it sit a day or two without checking like you can with some other hennas!

Maggie

Well all I can talk from is my recent (as in yesterday and today) experance with Celebration. I have a belly appointment on Friday and tonight at roughly 11pm after having mixed it at 6pm yesterday did I finally start to see some glimmer of dye release. My house isn't very cold about 25oC and I even tried putting the henna in the oven with just the light on (like Tetsu) argh! I hate mixing henna in the winter. I would start your henna Thursday in time for the weekend. Check at your regular intervals and do patch tests but don't be surprised if it takes a long time to get anywhere.

ladytetsu

what Maggie says.  You just have to plan the extra time.  I try to never need a batch within two days, although somtimes that doesn't always work out.  The oven-with-light-on trick is nice to keep a stable temp, but if your house is an icebox it can only go so far.  Just plan on the extra time and keep checking for release, it'll get there eventually as long as you don't freeze it!

Blurberrybuzz

I usually make sure I have 48 hours to available when it's cold.  75 degrees in the house in the winter would be really hot for us though.  It's usually 65-70.  Minnesota, it's cold baby!

Maggie

So an update to my hellacious story. Put the stupid henna back in the oven with the light on and door closed and in the meantime I mixed up a second batch of just normal Jamila '10 (not celebration) and as I was putting the second batch in I checked on the first and guess what....? Yeah it had barely released, but it released, even if it was 26hrs later. So fine and dandy I check on batch #2 after about 8hrs and it was completely released and ready to cone! Bugger!! The Celebration gave an alright stain (can't seem to top '10 and definately not '09 with it) but it'll give me a heart attack.