Arabic henna design - shading query

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
manasi
Arabic henna design - shading query

Hello everybody!

My name is Manasi & new to this forum as well as new to henna. I have been practicing applying henna and had a question about the shading (especially the flowers) done while doing the Arabic henna. I apologize if this question has been answered before....but I cannot figure out how they do it. I tried the shading & it gives a light brown effect rather than the reddish shading (Internet pictures of Arabic henna).

Is there a special way of doing this kind of shading? I would appreciate it if someone would share this info with me. 

Thank you!
Manasi

P.S.-I know about the dual tone shading which is a different procedure.

Blurberrybuzz
Re: Arabic henna design - shading query

There are several techniques used for shading.  Can you link to a picture of the type of shading you'd like explained? 

Victoria

manasi

may be this will help -

http://www.beautifulhenna.co.cc/simple-henna-design/

Thank you!
Manasi

ladytetsu

A lot of the shading done that looks really red against very dark or almost black gel-like paste is done with henna that's been adulterated - the "instant" mehndi that has had yucky dye added.  You can get a somewhat redder color by using really good henna powder and no oils.  Even that will probably mature to a brown in the end.

That top picture looks very very fresh, with the paste still on and the orange stain showing underneath.  That would darken later to some shade of brown.

desertholly

actually, I tried some of the celebration unterped on my hands and it gave the prettiest red stain I've ever had, and never went to a brown.  I want to do more unterped celebration, since I loved the color so much. 

ladytetsu

interesting, holly - even unterped celebration goes darn near to black on me. . . further proof everybody's different!

Blurberrybuzz

This image looks like a henna paste on image.  The reason I think this is because there isn't a color variation above the wrist, which you would expect with a stain picture.  You can also see the raised henna on the top motifs.  It appears that the shading technique used here was just thin lines of henna pulled along the design.  This can be done so that the henna is light yet solidly shaded.  Often an artist will almost paint the henna with the tip of the cone, moving it around so that the shading is consistent and free of blobs or line variation.

This image shows very fine lines used for shading   http://www.flickr.com/photos/blurberrybuzz/5080565860/in/set-72157625160...

Here's a mature stain picture of shading using that same technique.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/blurberrybuzz/4463263339/in/set-72157623079...

The shading is quite a bit lighter than the outlining and has matured to a brown color.

Happy hennaing!

Victoria

manasi

Thanks to all for your valuable inputs. Very helpful.

Manasi

Nicole

Here is a video about shading, there are three parts using three different techniques, that should help you a bit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZNr3VjDKlw

I think the first one using the cone is the most common, and convenient.  Though if you had a lot of extra time, using a brush might give nicer results.  Good luck :)

manasi

Thanks Nicole! Wonderful link! I am already getting better at henna than before... :).