Fun in the sun and other mix factors

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lehana
Fun in the sun and other mix factors
Ummm so I know once applied sitting in the sun can help make it browner but what about leaving it on the garden table (not direct sunlight) will that speed dye release before I want it? Also all instructions just say cover with plastic do I let the cling wrap sit over the top of the bowl or push it down on the henna so there is not air not even in the bowl. If a mix doesn't turn out as dark brown as I wanted can I add it to a darker mix and stir it in well? That way i am not wasting it by throwing it out. Ps I can't find jaggary sugar just yet so I've been using brown. Hope that is a good substitute
Nicole
Re: Fun in the sun and other mix factors

I think as long as your temperature is right it doesn't matter where you put it.  I wouldn't put it in direct sunlight though.  Push the plastic down so air doesn't get to it.  You can also cut a used plastic grocery bag, you don't have to use cling wrap.  If your henna doesn't turn out dark you could always use it for practice, on yourself, or paper.  Not sure about the sugar, good question though.

Blurberrybuzz

Leaving your henna in the sun to dye release is usually a sure way of killing it.  It gets hot so fast!  Place it in the shade in a warm spot.  Press the cling film all the way down onto the henna and place a white piece of paper towel or facial tissue on top.  Weight the paper down with a couple of stones, a small bowl or some dry beans/rice etc.  When the paper has pumpkin orange dye on it, your henna is ready.  Check it often.  I've had henna ready in as little as two hours!  If you kill your batch, use it for practice, wood or textiles or for your hair.  Brown sugar will work just fine.  I find that it creates a sort of tarry henna if too much is used.  I prefer fructose for perfectly stringy, creamy henna.  Experiment with all sorts of sugars, splenda, karo syrup, honey, molasses, and even plain old white sugar.  It all acts a bit different, especially when frozen and thawed.

Have fun playing!

Victoria

Lehana
Wow thanx blur berry that clears up a lot of things. Also if your henna is runny can you add more powder and does anyone know if you can henna over a temporary tattoo like the ones on wax paper you used to get in gum wrappers?
Cindy

Yes, if your henna is a bit runny just mix in powder. No need to wait for dye release or anything if it is a small amount, just keep going with whatever step you are on. For me usually it is the end when it is too thick and then I thin it out too much. Stir it really well. Sorry but I have never hennaed over temporary tattoos. Good luck.

Cindy

Mani

You can henna over a press-on temporary tattoo.  The EOs in your henna will probably dissolve bits of it, and the bits that don't dissolve will act as a barrier to the stain.  Unless that's the look you're going for, best to just wipe it away with some rubbing alcohol before applying the henna.