Nervous/Excited about tyring to henna

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
trulyblessed
Nervous/Excited about tyring to henna

I'm anxious to try henna but am concerned about the outcome.  I am african american and have been natural for a little over a year.  I go to the salon every 8 weeks for permanent jet black color basically to cover my gray.  The gray start to "pop" out less than a week around my edges once I get my color.  I'm looking for something to use to cover the gray more often than every 8 weeks and also looking to use something less harsher than chemical dyes.  I'm think of using just the henna by istelf instead of the indigo with the indigo but am afraid of what the gray color will be after just  "hennaing" alone.  Has anyone else with this type & color of hair done this and what were your results?

chuckles
Re: Nervous/Excited about tyring to henna

Trulyblessed, I have the same type of hair and color as you, and years ago I also used to get regular chemical color done at the salon to cover my very noticeable grey roots.  After letting those greys grow out to near 2 inches because of not wanting to use chemical dye anymore but not knowing what else to do, I discovered these Henna pages and was delighted.  And from experience I can tell you that if you use henna only, without the indigo, you WILL have orange-to-red roots.  That's the only color that henna produces unless you mix it with something else.  And if you use indigo only, you'll get blue (not blue black) roots because blue is only color that indigo produces.  To get black roots that match your natural color, you have to do a 2-step process using henna first, then indigo.  The peace of mind that comes from knowing you're not exposing your body to potentially deadly chemicals is worth the switch, as is the reassurance that the stuff is actually good for your hair!

HTH

trulyblessed

Chuckles, Thanks so much for the advice as well as sharing your experience.  This makes my decision easier.  I will do the 2-step process (henna & then indigo).  Wish me luck:-).

One more questions, how often do you henna?.  As I mentioned earlier, my grey roots (especially around the edges) alway appear again less than a week after I received my chemical dye.

ACWN

If you have vivid grays that you want to keep covered, you will probably find yourself doing a two step on your roots every week to weeks.

The color wont fade on you, especially if you do a couple applications, but it cant stop your roots from coming in.

If you're shooting for black, you can do a whole head application every time instead of just roots if you'd rather since its not going to get any darker on you! If you ARENT shooting for black and get the color you want, roots only is a must because the color will continue to get darker and darker (especially when indigo is involved).

Remember to always have super clean hair before you apply. I mean wash your hair, then apply while your hair is still damp. Do NOT use conditioner until you have rinsed out the indigo. Indigo does not like fats or oils, so conditioner is a big "no no" before hand. Afterwards is just fine.

rosa

If I were you, the first time I'd do a whole hair henna (which is healthy) and then indigo just on your roots, as you have a jet black dyed hair. It's quicker. And next time, just roots  in both two steps (unless you're longing the conditioning effects)

Anyway, after the first step, try and see if henna alone is good for you. If you don't have a lot of whites might look like highlights.

ACWN

If you arent used to doing your roots, it might be faster for you to two a whole head two step but that is a good suggestion.

If you want to see if henna alone suits your tastes, I suggest a higher dye content henna such as yemen or celebration for about 4 hours. This will skip the orange stage that henna can get on gray.

xyz

Have you looked at the “mixes” page?  If you haven’t, go here http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html.  These recipes are very old, and some people back then listed ingredients and brands that you are not likely to need or want, but the pictures will give you an idea of how dark, curly hair might look after using plant dyes.  For example, check out…

• Kumarie--henna on black hair with grays
  • Moni--henna on very dark African American hair
  • Gwyneddh--a 2-step to get jet black

Also, Nikki at http://www.curlynikki.com/has tutorials and recipes for using henna on African American hair. 

Have fun!