Help ! Too Dark

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
jmedlm
Help ! Too Dark

Ancient Sunrise Medium Brunette & Indigo Hair Kit

Applied 1/2 Henna, 1/2 Indigo --- was hoping for a warm brown but it almost black.  What can I do to lighten ?

I have read a few solutions.  I would like to try the peroxide solution.  If I do that and it lightens with too much red -- can I apply amla to mute the red right away ?  Or would buxus be better ?  I am hoping amla is okay as I have that on hand.

I am probably 40% gray/white --- I thought this kit would color evenly, however, my roots still come up a light burnt orangy brown color... is there any way not to have this result ?  I was told this kit would provide an even color, even the roots, however, this has proven false.  Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.  Would love to continue with henna.

Thank you for helping, whoever you are ;-).

Carrie
Re: Help ! Too Dark

Do not use peroxide, as it will lighten everything EXCEPT the indigo, leaving your hair green!

Wash your hair several times in a row with dish soap to help strip out some of the indigo. The sooner the better (works best in the first 24 hours after you used the indigo). Leave the suds on for 30 minutes each time. Condition after all this, because it will dry your hair.

You can also try adding vitamin C powder to your shampoo, which helped one person lighten her too-dark indigoed hair.

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/1204

If you had previously dyed or lightened your hair chemically, that would explain why the length of your hair went darker than expected - the porous chemically-damaged hair sucks up more indigo, while the relatively intact virgin roots do not. Here is our FAQ for troubleshooting gray coverage - it should help even if gray hair isn't the problem but rather dye-resistant roots:

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/22

jmedlm

Oh thank you very much.  I will try the vitamin c solution today... actually have that on hand :-).  I believe I may need to use the cinnamon the next time.  So hopeful to continue using henna.  I used it for years before the gray went orange... not sure if it was pure, as hot water was the method, however, my hair had brilliant shine and felt wonderful.  I will let you know how the vitamin C method works out for me.  So glad I asked, otherwise I'd be very green -- almost used the peroxide without checking.

Thank you so much for your kind and very fast response.  I have never gotten such a quick and thoroughly informative answer this quickly on any consumer matter, ever!  That alone speaks volumes of your company.

magdalene00

You're welcome. But I am a forum member here (vit C and baking soda solutions). The forum speaks for itself.. there are many contributors here.

jmedlm
Re: Help ! Too Dark -- Vitamin C Crystals to the Rescue !

Well... I decided to use the Vitamin C crystals mixed in with my shampoo.  The results are amazing !  Excellent !

What I did:

I wet my hair and wrapped it in a towel to absorb most of the moisture for about five minutes.  While my hair was in the towel I mixed two tablespoons of Vitamin C Crystals with enough shampoo to make a thin paste and then applied it to my hair, covering it in a plastic cap for 45 minutes.  (Adjust as necessary for the length of your hair.  My hair is about shoulder length, just slightly below.)  Next I sat under a hair dryer for another fifteen with cap still on, letting it cool for fifteen, and again under a dryer for ten more minutes, letting it cool, then shampooing.  It was amazing !  I saw the indigo streaming out of my hair... I was ecstatic !   I decided to repeat the process, as my hair was very very dark. 

Next, I did a deep conditioning with Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment... something I have on hand and love to use once a month or so.  Shampooed out the conditioner, then showered removing even more of the black indigo color.  My last shampoo I used Wen, an amazing product.  Then used Loreal Nature's Therapy conditioner over night.  I am thrilled at the results.  My hair is the perfect rich brown color I wanted, with just a hint of red.  (Except for the roots... my next hurdle).  Now all I need to do is figure out the right henna formula for the color I now have... a rich warm brown, which is absolutely beautiful.  So much shine, so much life.  So glad I am experimenting with henna, the chemical coloring is just so bad and was destroying my beautiful hair...  which is almost back to perfect. 

I highly recommend the Vitamin C method to anyone who has experienced the 'Elvira Nightmare'.  It worked beautifully... and my hair felt great afterwords, not all dried out in the least.  I opted to deep condition to simply feed the hair with more nutrients in the products I used.

magdalene00

So glad the Vit C method worked for you. Of the 2 methods I've been using (baking soda -- see below,  or the vitamin C), it is the gentler one (plus leaves scalp shiny clean) and leaves my hair very shiny.

I have been having the same "root conundrum." Not wanting to go back to Indigo, I am, as I write, sitting under a root touch-up of iron-pot-blackened henna, mixed with a little amla. I'll let you know in another, appropriately titled thread the results of this experiment.

earthshake

Hello, I'm wondering about the time frame for using these ideas? Do they only work within 24-48 hours, or is this done over time? I'm getting some Vit C crystals today, to use tonight or tomorrow. I over-dyed on Sunday.

Thanks,

Tracy

magdalene00

The baking soda shampoo I've been using to fade mine will likely work for you. I've been using it to gradually fade my (very old, layered) indigo, but it has practically removed the indigo from my roots, where it is newer. If you do it today, there's a chance you can get a lot of it out.

Here's how:

1) After lathering your hair with shampoo (any kind), add several handfuls of baking soda to the lather, making sure that you get it everywhere in your hair.

2) Wrap your head in plastic (wrap or bag), cover with a towel. This is for heat.

3) Leave 10 minutes, then rinse out WELL. The longer the better.

4) Repeat this entire process

5) Then put on LOTS of cheap conditioner. You want to saturate your hair. Wrap and leave it on for 1/2 hour.

6) Rinse well again.

You should see dye coming out at least by the second rinsing (after the second shampoo). The conditioner leave-in will pull some out as well. This will also detangle your hair after the soda shampoos.

Let us know how it goes.

Shreela

I can't offer advice, only hope that the other suggestions work for you!  But I also wanted to thank you for posting this, for what happened to you is exactly what I'm worried about, so by commenting, I can return to this thread easier if I have to follow their suggestions ^_^

Thinking I'll start off with 1/2 henna, 1/4 indigo and 1/4 buxus, with amla, for no more than 2 hours. But I have to find where to order those without kits, then come up with a written plan since it'll be my first time.

Please keep us posted on how the lightening suggestions work for you -- best of luck!!

Carrie

earthshake, in general people have most success washing out some indigo if they do it in the first 24 hours but if that time has come and gone, still give it a shot. Magdalene has had success with her method even with indigo that's been in her hair for a long time, so it's worth a try!