Shaving before Henna?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
amz
Shaving before Henna?

Do you ever shave hands, arms, or feet before applying henna to the area? Or do you just push the body hair down with the cone tip? Thanks!

Mani
Re: Shaving before Henna?

I never shave a client before hennaing, I just work with the hair as best I can.  In six years of doing this professionally, I've only ever had one client that was too hairy to henna.  We ended up doing a design on his forehead because he was just too wooley anywhere else.

Maggie

I would definately not shave a client before henna'ing for a couple of reasons. The first reason being health, you don't want to cut someone, razors are far too expensive for one use and you obviously wouldn't reuse it. If there is a cut and you henna over it, then it's going to be permenant. On top of that a day or so after shaving especially on the arms you're usually going to get bumps and/or ingrown hairs which just wouldn't look very good. Try and push the hairs aside with the tip of the cone if they're too hairy then you're just going to have to find a tactful way of telling them the truth. With brides generally they get waxed or threaded before the henna so not much to worry about there.

ladytetsu

I Nair myself on Miss Penni's excellent advice, it makes for a perfect skin prep and removes old stains nicely.  I would never tell a client to remove hair - it might tick somebody off.  I just henna with it.

amz

Thanks so much!

1stimestar

As a dog musher, my hands get pretty tore up in the winter, harnessing dogs and snaping them onto the ganglines ect.  Some of the exposed skin that comes into contact with metal (every dog has two snaps) just gets peeled off.  So, nicks, cuts, and scrapes all over the backs of my hands.  They are mostly small.  I henna right over them.  I've never gotten a tattoo from them.  So I think hennaing over a shaving cut, while may be uncomfortable, would not make a permanent mark. 

Maggie

And yet it can still happen. If you want to do it on yourself that's one thing but you certainly don't want to take the chance of it happening on a client. Besides we're under the gun enough for using henna (misconceptions, and in the US having it banned for body art etc) I highly doubt anyone wants to add to our fight by bringing razors into it. I know for a fact if I started doing that at festivals etc I'd never get another booth, might as well be tattoo'ing people.

Desdemonas Designs

Do any of you remember the lady who posted years ago that she would burn the hair off of her clients?  She'd take a match, light their arm hair, and whooosh!  Hairless!  (We don't recommend this!)

I have told people if the area that they want their design is too hairy, its usually always men, and then we find someplace, like inside their arm, that is smoother.  I did once have a man who wanted his design in a particular location who went home to shave and came back for his henna.  But no, I won't shave my clients!

Deborah Brommer

Maggie

OMG a match?!? I must have missed her posts..damnnnn!

1stimestar

Lol I wasn't in favor of shaving, only saying that I have hennaed over many abraisions and cuts and have never tattooed myself. 

Anoushka
Ah,a very interesting discussion,as i was always wondering how all you pro henna artists deal with hair! I for one have a serious problem with it.I usually shave ALL the hair off on my own arm,as i just have no idea how to drop a straight line,when there's all the hair diverting the henna in random directions... So...how do you do it?
ladytetsu

If you're having trouble, anoushka, stop shaving - use those arms for practice!  You can't drape or float lines as easily, so I get right next to the skin and sort of tunnel the cone tip under the hairs and just above the skin if possible - I can't really describe it accurately.  Hair is a pain, but the only way to do it is to do it.  Lots. :)

Viljaana

I'm merely a hobby hennaer, but I do recomment my clients (e.g. friends) to shave or wax before henna if they want the design on legs or on ancle. Shaving and waxing usually exfoliates skin, which should be avoid with new henna on.