Natural glitter paste?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nicole
Natural glitter paste?

So I started using some glitter gel, oooooooo shiny!  I really like it but I'm wondering if there is a natural alternative to glitter?  Something bio-degradable or made from recycled materials (can you make glitter at home??).  I'm not even realy sure what glitter is made of to begin with.

If not, is there a more natural base you can use to mix the glitter paste (natural/homemade hair gel)?  Has anyone tried using straight aloe vera gel?

A Google search for "natural glitter" led me to a site which had a glitter made from glass, it was still considered cosmetic, and said it was safe to use around the eyes.  Would this be okay, or are they full of it?

Thanks!

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Natural glitter paste?

Good, safe, reliably sparkly, body art quality glitter is polyester.  Mica and glass are more problematic. The level of milling and sifting to get mica and glass safe and useful has a pretty heavy carbon footprint (if you sit up nights worrying whether the industrial production of glitter is causing environmental degradation). There used to be some simmery (not glittery) things made from fish scales, but I haven't seen those on the market in fifty years. Glittering, in nature is rare and usually ephemeral (like ripples in water, rainbows, or mineral crystals).  Stable sparkle is fundamentally unnatural, and that's probably why we crave it and imagine its magical.

Aloe gel is the least unnatural base. 

There are some shiny bugs, but if you grind their shiny bits enough to get a useful application medium, they go dull. 

Nicole

Very informative, thanks muchly!

CCartwrightJones
admin

IN 1965, I had a pale lipstick that had a slight shimmer to it, the shimmer was powdered fish scales. It was pretty, but every time I wore it, I couldn't stop thinking "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww I've got FISH SCALES on my lips!  Thhhp thhhpt thhhpt!"

Jen

I am painfully intense about avoiding chemical products. My eczema insists on it to a degree, and I take it to a further extreme. I hand make all my personal care products and beauty products. I draw the line between "natural" and "chemical" in a place that most reasonable people could only call anal retentive.

That said, there are a few places where an artificial product is actually safer and smarter than a natural one. Glitter is certainly one of them. Glass is obviously a bad idea. Even mica is made up of sharp little particles. If you really want to dig into it, some people argue that mica isn't a truly natural product! Mica for cosmetic use is actually lab created in order to avoid contaminants that can occur in natural deposits. Lab made mica for cosmetic use is chemically identical to the stuff that comes directly from the earth, but without the possibility of exposure to naturally occurring poisons. Again, "natural" isn't always the safest!

barefootgirl

Catherine, Great spit sound!! LOL

Jen, I recently discovered jojoba oil was fab for my eczema...