Dark of the Moon vs. Celebration

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
patti
Dark of the Moon vs. Celebration

How does Dark of the Moon compare to Celebration in dye content.  I have two boxes of Celebration but the Dark of the Moon sounds so good I was wondering how it stacks up to Celebration.  The product info page on Dark of the Moon doesn't list dye content (at least I didn't see it).  Also, is there any real difference in the "red" result.  

Thanks for the help. 

ACWN
Re: Dark of the Moon vs. Celebration

I dont think Dark of the Moon was ever lab tested, I think it came out right before Lady C started testing. I havent used either, but I think Celebration's dye content is higher. I believe its the highest mehandi.com's ever sold.

But, if you're still curious... grab a sample of DotM and do a strand test of each to see which you like better. If you wind up liking DotM better, I'm sure you can either find someone here who will gladly buy it from you or you might be able to do an exchange (and if you want to be sure, grab a sample of Celebration too instead of opening a bag, but also call or email mehandi.com and see what they say).

patti

Thanks so much for the prompt reply.  DotM is so special that samples don't seem to be available. In fact, the smallest amount you can buy is 500g @ $50.00.  Anybody else out there ever compared the two?

Jen

Oh, you're right! I'm so sorry I lead you astray! :(

CCartwrightJones
admin

You're right, DotM came in before we were testing.  We can't guarantee chain of posession on batches prior to the time we moved from one warehouse to another, so we can't guarantee which crate ended up where, potentially scrambling batches.  That means any test wouldn't be valid.

Celebration is 3.4. 

We love DotM for mixing henna paste for Empire.  A lot of people absolutely swear by it, and it'll probably be gone by Christmas.  There is very little left in the warehouse. 

diamond_lvr

I luckily bought some Dark of the Moon a few months ago.   I have naturally dark blonde hair and DOT is the only henna that I can get to make my hair have a more ruby look to in it the light.  It still glows orangey red in the sun, but it is very pretty.  I have tried Celebration once and I still have some of it.  It tends to make my hair more on the darker side.  I prefer DOT and wish they kept in on stocks as a regular product.

Jen

Its not that we don't want more! It was a particular harvest that had those qualities, and as it was harvested and processed some years ago, its about gone. The fact that henna is a botanical product means that there will be some variation from one crop and harvest to the next. Because its perishable, those crops/harvests will come and go. Unlike good wine, you can't really sit on it for a few decades and expect it to be as good or better, unfortunately.

Lori B.

Thanks for the info Diamond_lvr. My natural color sounds close to yours and I also am after a ruby red color. I'm glad I chose DotM when I placed my order a few days ago. I bought enough to last several months since there is no way to know how long it will be before there is another crop that gives similar results. It sounds like it would be sort of exciting though to be the ones that get to go through all the new crops following each harvest and evaluate them. Sort of like henna christmas. lol

Jen

Ya know! That's exactly how I feel about touching new henna!!!

Mspantherina
I have 3 - 100 gram packages of "Dark of the Moon" available

They are a few years old, but still sealed. I really liked the color on my hair back then, but have since grown my hair out to my natural brown color and currently use no dyes. 

I'm not sure if they are still good, but would love to try and sell them for $8 a package. Please let me know if interested. I can send photos. 

I also have four packages of Indigo and Cardamom seed powder for scent on hair. I purchased everything from mehandi dancing lizard - a reputable company and the best place to purchase henna products.