ALMOST right...

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
abacusjen
ALMOST right...

Hi there, I could use some help and I know what knowledgeable and experienced artists you guys are so I thought I would ask and hope one (or more!) of you helps me out.

I have a recipe for paste that works well, but after I freeze it and thaw it it seems too runny - it goes on fairly well, then runs together - just enough to ruin intricate designs. I have tried making the paste a little thicker, but if I make it thick enough not to run then it curls up at the end of my cone when I try to apply it (which from what I have read means it is too thick). 

Also, last weekend I worked a festival and my cones kept clogging all day - I have never once had a cone clog so I don't know what I did differently but it was a mess.

Last thing, no matter what tape I use or how much space I leave to seal my cones they ALWAYS end up leaking all over me half way through them. I have to tape and retape, wear gloves, get it everywhere, look incredibly unprofessional - you get the idea!

I am still able to apply really nice tattoos with all these issues - but imagine how nice it would be to have it be easy instead of a big pain!

I have another event this weekend. Since I had 2 back to back I made enough henna for both events and froze half - I am happy to defrost it and remix it and refill cones if someone could kindly tell me what to do differently.

I am using Raj powder. My mix is 100g henna, approx. 2c. lemon juice and about 4 tsp lavender. 

Help! Thank you!!

barefootgirl
Re: ALMOST right...

IMHO, I think 2 c of lemon juice is way too much.  I just mixed 100g of jamila and only used 1 1/4c  plus

4 tsp of ess oil and 1/4 c sugar.

jamilahhennacre...

I agree with barefootgirl... I also use about 1 1/4 cups of lemon juice and then a bit more cajaput than what you use. 

Samvit

The paste curling issue sounds like a cone thing.  If the inner "curl" of the plastic is looser than the ones around it, it causes curling (and also clogging).  Also if the tip is cut raggedly you may have the same problems.  As for the leaking, I roll down the top towards me, tape it, then use tape to fold back each corner towards the back and secure it.  It never leaks! I hope that is helpful.

Is it possible that  the clogging, curling, and leaking are all being caused by bad cone material?  I bought some holographic mylar film in India last summer, which seemed great, but I had no end of problems- clogging, curling, leaking. I got a different type of cello and had no problems.  Here in the US I always buy the same stuff so that I know what I am getting.

PS, I agree on the lemon juice thing- 2 c sounds like way too much.  Good Luck!

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

We have excellent results with

100 grams  henna

1 ounce oil

1/4 cup sugar 

1 cup lemon juice,

this is also known as the KISS recipe and it never fails us here at Henna Caravan.

Perhaps you don't need any sugar but it does seem like you are using too much lemon juice to me .  Good luck perfecting your recipe 

Flavia

Jen

1/4 cup of sugar to 100 g of henna in a humid region creates tar that never dries.

CCartwrightJones
admin

There is no set amount of lemon juice that is "right" for henna.  Every henna is different.  I've seen some henna that seemed to suck up lemon juice forever.

I've seen freezer clumping before ... but in a henna that had bentonite added. 

You say Raj ........  Rajasthan puts out a lot of henna, and in a huge range, so that doesn't really say much ..............

Curling is usually be a cone structure problem.  Clipping the cone tip with fingernail clippers or a single edge razor blade usually helps so there's no microscopic flibbit right at the edge catching the paste .....

abacusjen

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I use the Rajasthani Monsoon Henna from Tap Dancing Lizard. 

Thanks for so many replies - it seems that I am using more lemon juice than I need and not enough essential oils - and absolutely have a cone problem. I also bought the cone material from Tap Dancing Lizard so I am sure it is good material and I am using nail clippers to cut it, so I must be rolling it wrong - I will try all your suggestions - THANKS!

Jen

Try to roll them with an open tip. Personally, I can't cut cone tips without leaving a little bur that ruins my day no matter how sharp of an instrument I use to cut them. Rolling open solved that problem for me.

Another thing... be careful not to let the layers of rolled cones slip against each other as you fill them. That can also ruin a perfectly good day.

CCartwrightJones
admin

OK, if its Raj Monsoon ...... we freeze that paste all the time with nary a problem.  Does seem like a lot of lemon juice .....

abacusjen

I just wanted to thank you all. I used much less lemon juice, more lavender and rolled my cones better and I have the best batch of henna ever! When I look at the pictures from my last event and see how runny the henna was compared to now I am embarrassed! Luckily, I've got it fixed and can deliver a truly awesome product.

Thanks!

lkumle
Dye Release f/m Rajasthani Monsoon

I'm having a hard time getting dye release from my Rajasthani Monsoon henna (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/rajastringy/index.html).

I'm doing the usual:  mixing with lemon juice, letting it sit out overnight (or two or three).  I've even tried putting it in my car for a few hours on a hot, humid day.  And I can't get anything out of it.  It is rather frustrating and would appreciate some insights from those who have gotten it to work.