Booked my first gig today!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nicole
Booked my first gig today!

So it's a small gig, but I'm very excited.  It's for a non-profit organization that has programs for moms with children under five.  They're doing a ladies' night where the ladies pay their entry and get tickets to go to one of many stations (including music, games, pampering stations, etc.).  I'll be getting paid by the hour.  The organizer told me just to bring a couple of small designs to choose from.  I think I'll bring maybe a page or two worth of 5$ designs.  They're expecting around 260 ladies not all of whom will come to my station, but I'm going to bring business cards so it will be great exposure for me!

I am told it's a Polynesian theme so if anyone has any Polynesian-type designs to share that would be great!

Anyway, I am just very excited to I wanted to share my news with all of you, and of course thank you for all the information you've shared since I've been a part of this forum.  Any tips or advice are welcome!

:)

Jen
Re: Booked my first gig today!

Good for you!

"Aloha" Is inspired from Hawaiian art and nature. Its got stuff that would definitely work for Polynesian theme. I'm not sure how much of it is quick and small enough, but you could easily pull elements out and make them simpler.

Have tape, scissors, napkins or towels, alcohol and cotton or individual alcohol wipes, after care sheets and a foot stool. These are the tools that I find most crucial.

Cindy

Great idea with a few $5 size designs. You should get simple hibiscus, plumeria and sea turtle designs. Those seem to be popular and go with the theme. Good luck

Cindy

Nicole

Thanks for the tips :)

1stimestar

Have fun and let us know how it goes. 

Desdemonas Designs

Hi Nicole!  Congrats on your gig! 

"Aloha" is my book, and there's lots of stuff in there that you can use as $5 designs, but you may need to cut and paste or redraw them as individual elements to offer to your clients.  I have a little sea turtle that is probably one of my most popular $5 designs, if you get him on your design board you'll do so many of them that you'll be able to do him in your sleep by the time the night is through!

Have fun!
Deborah Brommer

Nicole

It went very well!  Unfortunately I got lost and arrived late, but the organizer was very understanding and said she would be using my services again :D

So I printed out three designs for them to choose from, or gave the option to make something up, most people let me got for it, which was fun.  I henna'd over 33 ladies, and they were all very happy, I hope some of them send me pictures, I had a draw that they could get an extra entry if they send me stain pictures.

I didn't take pictures of the begininning because it was a steady stream, but I got some of the last ones.  Here they are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31153543@N05/sets/72157625337267964/

and also on my website

http://hennabynicole.weebly.com/events.html

Maggie

Nicole those look VERY good! So glad to read it went well, and don't feel bad about getting lost I still get lost from time to time. I am looking forward to seeing work for your future events!

Nicole

Thank you so much!  I was a bit worried because I'd never had to make up designs on the spot like that before, but everyone seemed to enjoy it and after the first couple of people, I got into a flow (I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about).  Of course I was totally inspired by all the pictures I've had the pleasure of looking at by people on here and other places.  So I hope if someone sees something that was their idea they will let me know so I can give them credit.  I tried to be as original as possible, but sometimes you're "accidentally" inspired by things you've seen :)