Tip or discount?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maggie
Tip or discount?

So every Sangeet/laylat al hinna I've done I get handed money by the guests, and honestly I am not sure exactly what to do. Do I treat it as a tip or do I put it towards my hourly rate and charge the host less? Thanks everyone!

Malynda
Re: Tip or discount?

A tip, by definition, is something that is given by a customer when they feel the service you've given was above and beyond what they expected to receive for the set price.  The fee you negotiated with the host is one that they feel comfortable with and should be set before you arrive at the party... anything given to you by guests that wasn't  part of that negotiation is a perk!  Don't talk yourself out of monetary compliments :)

Nicole

Personally I would probably decide based on the situation.  If you make a LOT of tips, you could always give them a small discount so that you still come out ahead.  People always like discounts, and in the end it will make their experience better and they will be that much more likely to recommend you to a friend.  You could also give them a rebate in the form of a gift certificate, or coupon towards a future appointment or event.

In the end it's your decision, these are tips, and yours to keep!  You are not obligated to dock yourself, or even tell them how much you received.  The tips are for you and your work, not for the host of the event!

Maggie

Thank you ladies! I appreciate both of your replies and it makes me feel better too. I have a Sangeet tomorrow night so we'll see how it goes. My last one I only received 1 tip from a guest but the family tipped me $50 over the two days so it made up for it. With any luck tomorrow night will go well. Thanks again!

barefootgirl

I think once you give someone a "discount", they will always expect it and

tell anyone they refer that "she gave me a discount, you should get one too".

Its just the mentality of people.  Stick to your price.

Maggie

That is a good point too actually, I hear it all the time with the Aunties at the temple about different purchases. I ended up not getting any tips from guests (it was an Iraqi Cathaloc wedding, so I guess they don't work the same as Desi). Luckily though the host tipped me well. I will definately keep all of this in mind for future Sangeets!