Henna on wood

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nicole
Henna on wood

Hi there!

I'm looking to henna some picture frames, some of them are finished, so they won't stain, so I want to leave the henna paste on and put a coat of something over top.  My question is, what should I use to mix the henna?  Just lemon juice?  Should I use any sugar so it sticks better?  I don't need it to stain so I can just use water?  Should I make it the same consistency as I usually do for body art?

Any additional advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Nene
Re: Henna on wood
If your frame already has a varnish use old henna. You don't need it to stain your wood so anything will do
Nicole

I thought of that, but I'm kind of worried about the essential oils in the paste, will they spoil?  Also, I'm worried the smell might be too strong.

Nicole

Okay, so my frame is beautifully decorated, now it's time to finish it.  I bought two varnishes from Walmart, and I'm not sure which one to use, or maybe neither...  I have here FolkArt Artists' Varnish Gloss, Polyurethane, Protective Sealer, Non Yellowing and FolkArt Waterbase Varnish, Satin Finish.  They say on the side : Specially formulated to provide a beatiful finish over FolkArt Acrylic Colors and other acrylic paints.

Will either of these work?  If not, what should I use?  (I have left my paste on).

Thank you!

barefootgirl

I would consider using a spray finish.  If you brush it on

it may disturb the raised paste and make if flake off.

Nicole

Hmm...what type do you think?  there were so many different kinds when I went, I really had no idea, and just picked something, lol.  I need to finish this frame for Sunday afternoon, so I really hope I can figure it out!

Nicole

So, they both worked, and I ended up using the waterbase varnish.  I found the gloss showed the streaks too much, and I didn't have time to be careful.  Thanks for your thoughts, here are the pictures of my finished product :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31153543@N05/5035653520/

pinksiva

Beautiful! It turned out very nice...good job!

Love and Light

Pinksiva

pinksiva

Beautiful! It turned out very nice...good job!

Love and Light

Pinksiva