Celebration henna stain questions

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
jmk3482
Celebration henna stain questions

I've mixed up a couple batches of the Celebration henna and I have a couple issues and questions. I thought I had read that it was jamila so I expected a long dye release time. I mixed a very small batch with lemon juice and sugar. Let it sit overnight and added cajeput oil, let it sit for another 5 hours. The stain was about a 4B on the henna chart on the palm of hands. This was about 75 to 80 degrees in the house.

After reading a bit on here, I figured I had let it sit too long. So I mixed a bigger batch with lemon and sugar to make it nice and stingy. Let it sit for about 4 hours, added cajeput and tea tree oil and let it sit for 4 hours. I got about a 3B on the chart on the palm.

Now, I'm am kinda stressed right now, but I didn't think it would affect it that much.

I was expecting a more dramatic 2A since this has such a high dye content and the picture on the shop page has such dark stains. Am I doing something wrong? I've lucked into 2A stains on the palm before with other henna's but I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything different than what I'm doing now.

Jen
Re: Celebration henna stain questions

Celebration is from the same manufacturer as Jamila, which usually does have slow dye release. Celebration is unique, and it is faster. I've had my best results at 6 or 8 hours when mixed with room temperature lemon juice and left to stand at room temperature.

Noa
1- I put the sugar 12 hours into the brewing, at that point add oils and adjust consistency with lemon juice and continue to let it stand at 73-75 F in average for 6 more hours before coning.
2-Celebration is fast to release its dye and slow to show its "kick". expect to see real change in 5 days verses 3 days.

I finally had a great luck with Celebration, I hope that you'll get there too.
:)

Noa
juliem

What does "slow to show its "kick" mean?  What does "expect to see real change in 5 days verses 3 days" mean?

Maggie

I think what is meant is that instead of seeing the peak of the stain being 3 days after you'll see the darkest part of the stain in 5 days.

juliem

I had dye release after 8+hours, then added sugar, lavendar oil, and lemon juice.  I used it after a few hours of sitting.  I only got a C4 stain on myself after 3-5 days, and those that we used it on were not very happy with the stain results, either.  We do a lot of henna at festivals (full-time), and this batch simply does not stain very well.  It makes me wonder whether or not a high lawsone content equates to a dark stain.

CCartwrightJones
admin

In our experience (a few thousand people at this point) Celebration does give the best stains we've ever seen, though there can always be a suprise.  In henna, there are always variations and conditions you cannot control.  Perhaps your henna got "cooked" in the mail truck on its way to you. 

On a more predictable surface (hair of known origin) you can see that the higher dye content is an accurate predictor of darker stain.

To say, "Dye content does not correlate with stain" would be to ignore science.  To say, "I had bad luck with this batch"  .... that happens, and can be from any of a number of reasons, and that's why we try to troubleshoot.  "To say "I had bad luck with my batch, therefore everyone else's good results are negated" ....  naaaah.

We had one person send back Celebration she claimed "didn't stain whatsoever". When the package came back, we tested it and got A1 results.  We have no control over other people's results ... we just guarantee that we've got what the lab says we've got.

Of course, the discomfort with not having predictable results is the reason people keep putting PPD in their paste. 

ladytetsu

wow, julie, how totally frustrating to get the good stuff and have it poop out on you and clients!  I've used it myself and I love it to DEATH, I actually just did my hands again last night. . . what CCJ says is right, she can prove for us what's in it, and many people have seen the expected results.  What I noticed with Celebration is it releases FAST.  8+ hours *may* have been too long, depending on the heat.  It's also a late bloomer, like folks have pointed out.  I tend to get worried about day 2 when I should be seeing much darker stain, but then day 3-4 rolls around and I can admire the darkness.

I mix mine all in one big mess, let it dye release, and then freeze and thaw it once so my consistency is perfect after the next cycle.  Then  I cone and freeze for storage.  I've used it on my hair and nails and it really does saturate better.  I've taken to mixing it half and half with Purity becasue Celebration alone makes the palms fade faster.  That might be worth a try for you, but don't mix it with downright poo henna or you'll lose the oomph.  Try looking for the KISS recipe, too, a lot of us swear by it, and it's really simple.

Keep trying!!!  Once you nail it you'll love it!

desertholly

It's taking me time to get used to how fast celebration releases its dye, but I realized it suits me well in one way- I occasionally forget to mix fresh henna far enough ahead of time.  It's amazing to mix henna in the morning and be able to use it that evening!

Maggie

Just wanted to jump in with my personal expericence with Celebration since I finally got up enough nerve to mix a little up lol. It sat about 8hrs on my computer tower (it's getting cool here in Ontario) absolutely no terps and no sugar/sweetner  (it was being used for a belly photoshoot) and to check the consistancy I did about 2 inches of a Moroccan design on the side of my foot. After 8hrs of being taped and in my wellies I have a surprisingly great stain so I can't wait to see what it matures into.