Trouble with Dye Release from Raj.Monsoon Henna

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
lkumle
Trouble with Dye Release from Raj.Monsoon Henna

I'm having a hard time getting dye release from my Rajasthani Monsoon henna.  I'm doing my usual, mixing with lemon juice to mashed-potato-like consistency, letting it sit over night, and nothing.  I've let it sit longer.  I've raised the temperature and humidity and all I can get is a very faint orange stain.  I was expecting to get very dark brown, but I can't get anything.  Any suggestions?

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Trouble with Dye Release from Raj.Monsoon Henna

Terps? Body part?  Lotion?  Stress levels?

I ask because we use it for our henna paste at Empire and every week I look at people coming back and think "dayum this stuff stainz!"

Its very helpful having a shop where you can see the results of your work week after week after week .........

lkumle

I can't remember if I got as far as terping it.  I might have used lavendar.

I tested on the sole of my foot (and my husband's, and my daughter's) and my thigh by the knee.  I/we didn't have any sorts of oils or lotions on.  I let the paste sit on our skin over night and it was a faint orange (that did not darken) in the morning.  After testing it with increased heat and humidity (in my car on a hot, summer day for a few hours), achieved the same results.

Stress?  Um, very?  Although, soon I'll be trading a stressful J-O-B for henna and creativity!

Hopefully I'll be able to have my own shop one of these days.  I'm already painting pictures of it in my head.

Thanks for your help and your awesome sites which are teaching me everything I need to know about henna.

Mani

What temperature are you leaving it to release at?  It can get very hot in a car ( easily 150 degrees) and it would take very little time at those temps to kill the paste.  It should not be left in a place over 75-80 degrees.  When I mix Raj, I let it sit for 12 hours then mix in some terps and leave it for about 6 more (at around 75 degrees).  Great results every time.  Good luck! 

lkumle

I mixed up a small batch last night.  This morning, there was an orange stain on the white paper I had left the Ziploc bag on, which means I have dye release!  I added some lavender oil and lemon juice to get the right consistency.  I’m letting that sit for a few hours before I apply, seal and wrap for the night.

lkumle

I'm getting a nice reddish brown after I've removed the paste.  I still don't see how this could darken to near-black.

Nicole

Let us know in a day or two!  You'd be surprised!

lkumle

Day Two:

I've got about a B-3 on the henna stain chart:

http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/colorchart/

It's a great improvement to the F-5 I had been seeing.

lkumle

Okay, I know it's been a while since I've beat on this drum, but I'm back!  I mixed some up for some New Year's henna and it turned out great!  I don't know what was not happening before, but this stuff is fantastic.  I even got a great stain from it when it had been in the fridge for about two weeks.  I am pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for everyone's input.