What NOT to do with your henna tattoo--Waterproof Tape

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heritage
What NOT to do with your henna tattoo--Waterproof Tape

Hello all,

I am new here and fairly new to henna.   I made a really stupid mistake yesterday and wanted to make sure you guys don't make the same mistake.

I henna'd my hand yesterday and did the solution and decided to put some waterproof tape RIGHT OVER the stain.   BIG mistake.   Waterproof tape makes your skin sweat and within an hour, I had henna ooze out from under it.   I was so upset.   Took it off and the design is still there, but I don't expect it to be very dark.  

I have used paper tape before and never had a problem...it let the skin breathe.   I will try using some cotton underneath next time...as I have a lot of this tape left...and if that still doesn't work, I will go back to the tried and true.   I guess we all live and learn.

With all that said, I want to thank every poster on here and Ms. Cartwright for the tremendous wealth of information on this site.   I call it my "one stop shop" for all things Henna.   Thanks and I hope to become an active member of this great and very helpful community.

Heritage

Luna
Re: What NOT to do with your henna tattoo--Waterproof Tape

I spray my henna with super-hold spray, then when it's almost completely dry, I cover it with paper tape, then use the waterproof tape over it.  The spray makes it hold its shape, and the paper tape absorbs excess moisture.  I leave it on overnight and I get a good crisp design with amazing color right off the bat!

You might want to test it before you do a big design, as it might not work if you add sugar to your henna, or if you sweat a lot!

Luna

Heritage

Thanks Luna,   I guess it's all a process....thankfully, when you look at how much paste a 100g of henna makes and how much you use for a small design, it wasn't an expensive mistake.   I love the fact that Henna is all natural and if you really think about it...a very inexpensive art form and yes...it is an art form.

Maggie

It happens to us all! Live and learn!! Though I will mention that if you were sweating you might be very surprised at the stain you get. I use mefix, it's even better then paper tape and breathable. The first year I did festivals I forgot to mention on the aftercare instuctions no plastic wrap...well lets just say it's on those instuctions now. I will say however if you want to do your finger tips black minus the PPD do your fingertips and wrap in plastic wrap for about an hour..that waterproof tape might do the trick too.

Look forward to reading more of your experances Heritage!!

Samvit

Since you have the tape, why not try using it for resist designs?  Try somewhere inconspicuous first just in case, but it really should work!

Heritage

OK, at the risk of sounding like a moron, what is resist designs?   I would love to try that if I can :)

Thanks, Heritage

Samvit

Use the tape (cutting it however you need to) to block out stripes or shapes, then henna over it.  It should resist the henna and leave the taped areas white.