Henna on nails ???

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
MissDragon71
Henna on nails ???

Does henna on nails need to sit the same amount of time as on skin?

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Henna on nails ???

It helps.

Luna does the very bestest hennaed nails.  She does the whole fingertip and tapes it down so her fingertips are henned thick with wet paste overnight.  Amazing color!  Aubergine and dark red amber!

Blurberrybuzz

I usually do mine overnight because it's convenient.  I've also found that since I had the baby, the nails on my right hand do not stain as dark as the nails on my left hand.  Go figure...I also like to henna them a few days in a row to really build up the color.

Victoria

AgnesAnne

I'm curious. How old is your baby and which arm do you carry the baby with most? Increaswed muscle strength on your dominant side may increase cirulation and skin temp. Or... holding a nice warm baby would increase your warmth... curious..

Jen

You can vary the color a bit with the length of time you leave it on. Just 2 or 4 hours will give you a pale harvest moon color. I also know people who do repeated applications to get a deep color, but even with all that extra effort, they still don't look as good as Luna's lovely fingers. She's the darling of the digit dip!

ladytetsu

pix or it didn't happen, Jen!

I'm debating redoing mine - I got some pretty good color last year - mmmm, tomato red. :)

MissDragon71

I would love to see a pic of Luna's nails if anyone can wrangle one please.

I'm doing my toenails actually, did it last night ...first application left for an hour and then reapplied and left for 3 hours. So far the color is more orangish and hoping I get more red tones but still have another day to see full color.  I plan to do another couple applications this weekend if color doesnt work out well. Practice makes perfect right :-D

Samvit

I've been working on my toenails the last few weeks too, now that it is sandals weather again.  I used a little corn syrup in the paste, so it dries slowly, but once it does it is like cement.  I put it on in the morning and let it dry, and then keep it on all day.  Whenever I can, like if I have to bathe a kid or something, I step into the hot bath water and get out quickly.  I have the idea that I am re-moistening the henna and letting it penetrate more. At night, I scrape off the paste before bed.

I have done this only 3-4 times, and my toenails are a nice "baked pumpkin pie" color, and best of all, the color won't chip off.

CCartwrightJones
admin

Luna's nails were featured in all their flaming glory from the 2008 HP calendar: they were featured on the cover and for the month of September.  She did her daughters' nails for April.

You can download the zip file to see the pictures here: http://www.hennapage.com/henna/wallpaper/HPC0809wallpaper.zip

Blurberrybuzz

Baby is 5 months old.  When I wear her in the sling, I carry her on the right side or on my back.  When I just haul her around, I usually carry her on my left side.  My dominant hand is the lighter staining hand and it's only been this way since the baby was born.  It's odd!  My toenails are distinctly darker and deeper in color than my fingernails.  They're a nice deep russet brown.  I dig on those earthy tones, so it's good for me.  I've achieved various shades of orange and brown but never a red tone.  I just dropped some indigo on my foot and now my pinkie toenail is black...at least it won't fall off.

Luna

Okay, Jen nudged me to post - it's been a little bit busy in the henna mines lately!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb167/lunahart/?action=view&current=P3150417.jpg

That's a photo of a 50/50 "Rajmila" mix, I believe it was day 4 or 5.  You can see nails a little better on this one: http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb167/lunahart/?action=view&current=P3150416.jpg

I'm gonna do a Celebration dip up to the second knuckle this weekend - or maybe tomorrow cuz I can't wait!

Luna

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

I am thinking of doing mine, but how do you avoid the cuticle staining ? does anyone have a good method for that, I don't want to do finger dips ....

CCartwrightJones
admin

Same way as you get the henna other places you want it ........ nice, fine-tipped cone!  Put it where you want it.  Its not like it's runny .

There used to be cuticle guards for applying nail polish.  Do they still exist? 

I like the fulll fingertip stain because it keeps my cuticles from splitting.

ladytetsu

Flavia, CCJ's right about the teensy cone tip, but may I offer another suggestion - an orangewood cuticle-pusher stick.  If you use it to push the cuticles back and then gently flick them upwards, you create a tiny space you can pipe paste into neat as can be, and your cuticles stay clean. you get this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladytetsu/2904080775/

Luna

Okay, here they are - the tips.  I'm really glad that my camera records the date and time, because I was having a hard time believing it after not looking at the pics for almost two weeks.  This henna kicks A$$$$$$$$!!!!

The henna was Celebration, released overnight with lemon, caj-based terps, then coned and frozen.  The rest you'll have to see for yourself!  Haven't done much with photobucket, and the slides rearranged themselves out of order.  Also, what says "Flash, day 2" is obviously sunlight, day 2.  I will do one with consistent lighting for better comparison - this time I was just kind of in awe.

I'll take pictures today, day 14, and post them soon.  Now I want a good camera!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb167/lunahart/Hot%20Tips/?action=view&current=68be4cc4.pbw

Cheers!

Luna

Henna Trendz

OMG! i'm speechless...tht stain is just outrageously beautiful! :))