freazing henna

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
sapphireseve
freazing henna

Hi Guys,

been fooling around with henna from time to time for the past year or two. I was wondering, can i make batches of henna, put them in cones and then freeze them for later use? How many times can it be thawed and refrozen before it loses it strength? Is it better to freeze the powder as well before it's mixed? I do it only on myself for my own personal entertainment and I rarely use an entire cone in one sitting, but i hate to waste all that wonderful henna! What are my options?

Thanks! LOVE this site and the products are wonderful.

-Sapphire

Maggie
Re: freazing henna

Yeah you can totally do that, keep your powder in the freezer until you mix it up, and when you mix it and cone it put it back in the freezer. In an air tight container the cones will last about a year. As for defrosting and refreezing that really depends on the artist, a few people let them go a couple more times then other artists around here. I would say roughly 3 times before you'll notice any change in stain but if you're just using it on yourself or your friends it might not even matter. Play around with your henna and see what the results say.

As a side note when you're defrosting the cones do not microwave, toaster oven, toaster the cones because the plastic will melt and it could easily cook your henna (making it useless). So we all suggest room tempature and if you're in a hurry well put them in with "the girls" for a few minutes and the body heat will defrost the cones quickly.

sapphireseve

hahaha "put them in the girls" thats great! I don't like microwaves much and I am generally very patient so i'm willing to let the tube defrost on it own :-)

will the henna powder last longer if frozen? Or is there no difference if just left in the box until used?

Thank you ! :-D

Blessed be.

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

Freezing henna in cones is a wonderful way to have it ready to go whenever you want to play.

For your own personal use you can freeze and thaw as many times as you like, although your cone may suffer from this and you may have to recone it after once or twice of the thaw/freeze cycle.

We only thaw one time because we are working on paying clients and feel they should have the best henna we can give them every time.

But if you are only working on yourself there is no problem with multiple thaw for your henna, although you will probably find it will not last as long as henna that has been thawed only one time. ANd that can be a good thing as you can do a new pattern sooner .

It only takes about 15 minutes for a cone to thaw so there is nearly instant henna ready to use whenever you like.

Flavia

Maggie

Yes definately freeze the powder too, it keeps the dye from dying (haha). You'll notice a major difference between mixing up henna powder that's been sitting in your pantry and powder out of the freezer. I am looking at buying a small freezer for this exact reason, powder and cones are starting to take up too much room in my "food freezer" lol