Arrowroot powder?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tarquin
Arrowroot powder?

I saw someone at a festival using what I thought was black henna.  Her hands were all black and the stain left on the everyone's skin was black.  When I asked her why, if her sign said natural henna, her hands were  black.  She said it was black henna (this is in Canada).  I said "you're using PPD?"  She said it was PPD free.  So I asked what was in the paste and she responded that it was arrowroot powder.  Now I think I've heard something about this at some point here, but I'm not sure.  Is it possible that she wasn't using PPD, yet the stain was black, and what exactly is arrowroot powder?

Blurberrybuzz
Re: Arrowroot powder?

Arrowroot is a white starch.  It's often used in cookies or teething biscuits.  I have no idea why it would be in henna and how a white starch would possibly make henna darker.

Victoria

rakl

Iodine reacts with starch to make a dark purple/black color, maybe that has something to do with it. though I do not think that it would stain the skin.

ladytetsu

horsehockey.  I make arrowroot biscuits every year the old fashioned way (with a woven basket, some rocks and a campfire) and have yet to see it do anything to my skin.  It's starch.  You buy it in the store, it's probably mostly potato starch.  If you want me to pull my three drops of Native American blood out and get all authoritative, imagine the next statement in a really bad hollywood Injun accent (which I do reaaaaaaaaaally well.)

The Spirit of the Great White Bear came and told me that the black henna woman is full of dung.  She is lying through her teeth to keep from getting in trouble.  The Great White Bear would be most pleased if you sicced the mounties on her lying butt.

So yeah.

Maggie

I second that! She's full of something and it isn't Arrowroot powder! Can I ask where she was? And possibly if her name started with Mi?? I am wondering if it's one I caught here in London about a month ago.

Tarquin

I didn't get her name, it was in Toronto though, so maybe it was the same girl.  She was quite young.  Her booth was covered with henna designs and in the corner of one of the displays it said Natural Henna.  As a side note,  one of the local Moroccan restaurants had a lovely Moroccan tent set up at this festival (Buskerfest in Toronto) and someone was doing henna inside (the real stuff).  It was so beautiful!  Wish I could've had that gig!

Maggie

Might have been the same girl but I am doubting it, as the one I caught was all over the "black henna" then again she might have changed her signs since (since trying to assault me that is lol). This almost makes me want to go out and buy arrowroot powder but I know it'd be a waste. Wish I could have made it to T.O just to see the Morrocan set up! I always wondering about the Pride events for gigs though.