My first henna festival

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
pinksiva
My first henna festival

Hi All,

First want to say I'm soooo thankful for the henna site and the forum. I have been doing henna on and off for about 15+ add years. I have always done henna as a hobby and as activity that I enjoy. But recently, I wanted to try it out as business and I came across this site which was very informative as well as gave me a path to follow if I wanted to do henna as a business...

So, with all that said, I'm doing my first henna festival on Aug 15 for the Festival of India. I have never done anything like this!!... After reading almost all of the content on the henna site. I do have paste made. Have plenty of small and mid size henna patterns ready for the festival. My goal is to at least make the money I'm putting out for this festival, like the booth fee, henna material and time. So I'm excited and nervous. Expected turn out is to be 6000 people for the festival. Can anyone give any pointer on what I should consider for the festival like this?

I have look at the various festival list for the items to take. I will have 10x10 tent with booth inside. I have to take a look and see how to decorate the booth. Any suggestion on booth decoration would be appricated too..There are going to be 2 other henna artists offering henna services at the festival beside my self. What can I do to stand out? Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you again for providing this forum and access to henna info. Much appreciated and can't wait to get certify...

~ in love and in light ~

pinksiva

Nicole
Re: My first henna festival

Hi there!  I haven't done any festivals myself, but I had my first experience doing other people's henna last night...in a house full of kids!  What I learned from that is try to practice henna with lots of distractions before hand.  You will probably have lots of people, noise, music, and of course people who will just stand and watch you.  Also, decide before hand if you are going to stick to your designs, or if you'll make exceptions/adjustments upon request.

As for standing out, glitter is always a good choice, if the other booths have glitter, this won't make you stand out, but at least you'll be on par with them.  Maybe also having some more modern/not so traditional designs would draw attention to you.

Hopefully someone with actual experience will have some better advice.  Good luck!

pinksiva

Hi Nicole,

I do have experience doing henna when other people are around, especially since I have done wedding henna party, bridal shower henna party, ect. I have try to incorporate as many styles as possible, like Arabic, Hindu, Chinese, Islamic patters as well as pyrographic designs...also have patterns for little kids….I just hope I have enough…little nervous...

I took your suggestion and added the glitter and gems to designs.

I also took some educational material from the Henna site and will have it hanging. Like the harmful effect of the 'black henna' and what is henna and how the paste is made...ect.

Thank you for the reply and the good wishes…

~ in love and in light ~
pinksiva

ksummers

I am curious, How do you get insurance?  With Henna not being FDA approved and illegal to use on skin, what protects you?  I want to start a business as well, but am scared to death of the legalities.  Did you get some kind of approval from the health department?  Do you have a business license?  Do you have insurance?  With sue happy people and FDA disapproval of Henna how do you deal with that?  I am just curious because I am having a hard time justifying 1 lawsuit for an allergic reaction using a non-approved product to the profit I could lose doing it. 

Thanks

Ksummers

pinksiva

Hi Ksummers,

One can get Vendor insurance for the fair. There are some legality, just like any business. If you are serious then you can't let 'legality' stop you from doing what you love to do....I have put off doing henna for so long, as I didn't know the nuances of running a business like Henna...with so much information on the web and on the Henna site...it IS possible now.

Since this is my first festival, I'm taking a chance...I do not have insurance but am planning on getting one, as soon as I get more festivals line up for next year...as I started late in the season this year, with the summer almost at the end...

I feel confidence doing Henna at the festival of India because I feel that lot of people attending the fair have had henna or know about henna. And those that do not know anything about henna, I'm planning on educating them and asking them up front if they are allergic to any of the ingredients I used to make the henna paste before I start to henna them...

Hope that answers your questions.

~ in love and in light ~

pinksiva 

pinksiva

All,

Just wanted to let everyone know, my first festival was sucessful!!! :) I had such good time doing henna, I had people waiting in line to get henna done by me. :)

It turned out that there were 7 other henna artist, not 3....but I had people tell me that they came back to me for the design that I had.

Here is the link, I was so busy that I didn't get chance to take many pictures. I do have additional henna picuters but for some reason my computer wouldn't down load them, it only down loaded the 3 henna pictures...I'm trying to figure out what went wrong and hopefully download the other 4.

Again, thank you Catherine for the henna site...I trutly don't believe I would have been this successful without the info that I found on this site and my own experience for last 15+ years of doing henna on and off...
Love and Light,
pinksiva
desertholly

lovely designs!  I really like the sense of movement and the "lightness" of the designs. glad you had a good time!

azulparsnip

congratulations.   I like the educational poster.  Good idea

hennadoula

hi Pink,

I did my first event last summer, it's pretty nervewracking and exciting! For booth decorations we went to a few local thrift stores with a theme in mind. We paid about $100 total from top to bottom for our decorations. I still need to buy tables (keep borrowing my MIL's table lol) and a couple of better seating options but what I have now works.

Put some thought into your signage- people want to see what the henna designs look like and also the stain as well. I'm putting time/energy into revamping how I"ve done this thus far but the cheap and fast way I did it was to buy a $5 posterboard at Michael's, print out some designs and some photos of my work and just put it on there. Tied it to a leg of the booth, done. People can walk by and see the designs which intrigues them if they don't know what henna is, see photos of my own actual work, and then they come to the table for more information. I need to dress this idea up a bit more but it works.

We also bought curtains - the type with the two sides and drape across the top, all one piece (I don't know what they're called) and hang those in the back to cover the corners, and we bought sheers to make a wall in back and to cover the legs in front. We're using a big comforter for our flooring and it looks cozy and people walk by all the time and say they want to just come in and lay down. I invite them to when I'm not busy. :)

Thrift stores are your friend! :D

Hope that helps- make sure you take photos!

pinksiva

Hi Hennadoula,

Thank you for sharing your tips with me. They were very helpful...

Once I have my booth set I will sure to post pictures.

Love and Light

Pinksiva