Yet another question for event organizers...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
wadawas
Yet another question for event organizers...

I thought that after all of these years i had learned all of the questions to ask an organizer to find out if an event will be successful... Sigh... So any new event artists out there, here's another "Learn From My Fail"

If there are big corp sponsors, find out if a lot of freebies are going to be given away.

I was the only body art vendor at Wakestock in Collingwood.  Everything seemed perfect: thousands of teens & young 20's, a booth rate lowered from $1200 to $250, 3 long days of kids from mostly wealthy families. 

I just made my cost back.

The volume of corporate freebies was insane!  Beer for $0.01.  Free pop, food, energy drinks, etc... The bad: corporations were branding people for free.  Who wants to pay for unique, skilled henna body art when you can have a beer company's logo spray painted down your whole leg for free?  Another corp was airbrushing free logos.  There were dozens of logo lick-on stickers to be had.  By 4pm on Saturday people were just asking me if i was the booth with free body spray painting.  Too many freebies, no one wanted to pay for anything.  Sunday was rained out so i packed up & left. 

I hope this fail helps some of you out there in the future….

Nicole
Re: Yet another question for event organizers...

Aww, sorry to hear that, thanks for the advice though!  I guess you could have done small designs for free or have a tips jar, and handed out lots and lots of business cards.

I hope you had some fun anyway, and managed to get some freebies for yourself!  ;)

wadawas

Good idea for another gig, but not this one.  Most people weren't  even carrying money on them to tip with (hard to stash cash in a sting bikini).  

I don't drink or eat anything they were giving out for free, but between my hubby & me, we grabbed about 15 of the expensive Hydro Schick 5 blade razors...lol...

Malynda

This is where you contact the organizers and find out about being hired by the event itself or by one of the participating businesses.  They pay you hourly to sit and give "free" henna to the crowd, and you get to pass out a ton of business cards and fill your tip jar.  Contact the vendor coordinator you worked with to see if they can point you in the right direction.