Skin preperation

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nicole
Skin preperation

I'm wondering how to prepare skin for the best stain.  I remember getting henna at the Folk Festival a few years ago, and they put oil (maybe Lavander) on my skin before the henna.  Does this do anything?  Can you just wipe with water?  Would using a terp oil help the stain?  Also, is it best to exfoliate if you have the chance?

thanks!

Maggie
Re: Skin preperation

I use an alcohol swab, that's it that's all. This way it takes away skin oils, sunscreen, self tanners, lotions etc. There is absolutely no oil in the world that you can put on your skin first to improve the stain. Infact putting oil on your skin before henna'ing does the opposite, it creates a barrier between your skin and the henna leading to light orange stains. The oil they probably used on you was "mehandi oil" which is a nasty blend of petro products, euci oil and a bunch of other unknown ingrediants, it's terrible stuff that shouldn't come near your or anyone else's skin. However some "traditional" artists will apply it to the skin believing it will help, it does not. The best place for your terps is in your paste.

Blurberrybuzz

I enthusiastically clean the area to be henna'd with an alcohol swab.  Sometimes it takes several before any traces of dirt, oil and skin are gone. There are a couple of things that alcohol will not take care of, sunless tanner and regular use of body oil.  Sunless tanner is an odd animal and seems to be stuck in the skin cells even when all the color has been cleaned off.  I notice inconsistent stains with sunless tanner users.  People who regularly oil their skin also get inconsistent staining.  Have clients skip the use of these products for several days before they plan on having henna done.

Victoria

Nicole

I've read about using witch hazel and rose water?  Would this be a good natural alternative?

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

use witch hazel if you want to clean the skin , rose water is just scented water and will only make them smell nice but not clean the oils or lotions off the skin. 

Alcohol is inexpensive, and works very well.

Flavia

ladytetsu

I use a spray bottle with a bit of rose water and alcohol myself.  I don't like the swabs due to the wasted foil/plastic wrappers since I'm already using a small paper towel piece for each client.  I spray, wipe with the towel, and then use it to clean the tip and oopsies or smudges and toss it when they're done.  Happy smelling ladies (I do keep an unscented mix for ther guys) clean skin, no cootie transfer, and all biodegradable waste. :)

hennadoula

I've been using diaper wipes. I didn't want the drying effect of the alcohol but thinking I might need to reconsider that. Love the idea of rose water!

Nicole

Don't wipes have alcohol in them?  Also, I would think they would have aloe and other stuff that would not be good for the stain.