Epsom salts and henna

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
rebecca
Epsom salts and henna

Question - I have recently started bathing in epsom salts for my health - I read somewhere (on this forum, I think) that mineral salts mixed with henna with cause hair to dissolve or fall out - is this true?!

Please answer...

Thanks!

ACWN
Re: Epsom salts and henna

Uhm... no.

METALLIC salts in premixed or compound hennas (which may or may not actually contain any real henna) will cause the hair to become brittle and break. And if chemical dyes or chemical treatments (like relaxers) are used on the hair after compound hennas, it can cause horrible reactions such as the hair melting or worse.

However, if you're really concerned, take some of your recently shed hair and soak it in epsom salted water for a few minutes, then let it air dry. Nothing should happen.

rebecca
Re: Epsom salts and henna - help me

Thanks for the comment but Epsom salts are "magnesium sulfate" which *is* a metallic salt - which is supposed to melt hair in combination with henna...

Could somebody with knowledge of chemistry please help me??

long hair lover

EEEWWW! That would be unfortunate if that were to happen! Sounds like a question for Catherine! I'm sorry, but I am not sure what the answer is. perhaps you could send Catherine a note and when she answers you, you could share with us!    long hair lover.

Carrie

I sent a message to Jen - maybe she will have an answer for you.

ACWN

which is supposed to melt hair in combination with henna...

I've never heard that before. I've only ever heard that it happens if you use compound hennas with metallic salts and then follow up with a chemical treatment of some kind - typically chemical hair color. Which is why most hair stylists are paranoid about henna as a whole.

Like I said before, strand test. Take some hair from your brush and soak it in the epsom salt water. If the hair is going to melt, it will happen whether or not its attached to your head and it will happen pretty quickly, I would imagine.

Carrie

Good point, ACWN.

It's not henna combined with ANYTHING else that will cause damage. Henna (pure henna) is safe to use before or after any type of chemical treatment. Safe = your hair will not be damaged by the combination of henna and whatever. It may not take a perm very well, or hold color very well, or otherwise give different results than usual, but there will not be extra damage.

Hair treated with metallic salts (specific kinds) will react with peroxide/ammonia to create various kinds of hair hell. 

Henna itself plays no role in the damage.

More info here, from Catherine:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/science/index.html

ACWN

Given what Carrie just said, though, if you soak your hair in epsom salts when you bathe I would recommend strand testing in the future if you ever decide to use chemical treatments on your hair, for whatever reason. Juuuust to be safe.

After a point, I would imagine that the epsom salts would be absorbed into your hair on some level and remain, and could cause a problem. Not saying that it WOULD 100%, but that it could.

ladytetsu

magnesium sulfate is absorbed into the body and the skin, but's perfectly fine with henna, for the reasons carrie and AWCN both pointed out.  It's fairly innocuous, anyway, being in seawater and most bath salt preps.  It won't hurt your hair.  I use mag sulfate to control my asthma sometimes and I've dunked myself in a lot of it. . . hair's still here.

Like the others pointed out, the danger is in mixing lead salts and developer.  Henna is not the problem here.  Mag sulfate is just fine.

Jen

Thanks LadyT! I was asleep at the wheel, or on vacation... however you want to look at it.

Anyway... as much as I agree with the above... I still think that a strand test is a good idea. A large amount of ANY kind of minerals built up in the hair can lead to unpredictable color shifts. But no, it definitely won't melt your hair or catch you on fire!

ladytetsu

oh gosh yes, strand test, sorry I left that out, Jen!  Heck, I still strand test, as many times as I've done it, just to make sure I won't somehow magically get my henna nad indigo stashes confused or something - ALWAYS strand test!

rebecca

Thank you everybody! I've followed  all of your godd advice - did a strand test and hair didn't melt...

Thanks!

ACWN

Please remember that if you repeatedly soak your hair in espom salt water to strand test before you henna every time from now on as mineral build up can cause odd colors in plant dyes. Henna has been known to go very brown in some cases and cassia has been reported to turn BLACK! Now, this is caused by minerals in the water people were using, and we still arent entirely sure why it happens. Some people have it happen, others do not.

For the sake of your color, strand test every time. And please strand test if you do something that involves a chemical - such as a perm or what have you.