Should I henna my hair first or relax the roots first?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Deeshutin
Should I henna my hair first or relax the roots first?

Hi everyone I really need some help. This will be my first time using henna on my 50% gray relaxed hair. I would like to know if I should relax my roots of my hair before I apply the henna, and if I relax first how long should I wait before I apply the henna to my whole head of hair. Should I wait hours or days before applying the henna?

I have been reading the forums topics looking to see if any one had this question or answer in the many informative topics. I would truly appreciate an answer to my question because my hubbie can't stand looking at my gray roots. I can,t stand using any kind of chemicals any more, I have MCS. I need to do something very soon!

Thanks to anyone out there that can help me.

Deeshutin

Carrie
Re: Should I henna my hair first or relax the roots first?

I wish I could give you more info, but what I recall is that it's best to leave a few days to a week in between. Not sure if it matters which one is done first.

Now, this is just speculation based on what I know about perms and henna, but my guess would be you'd want to do the relaxer first because henna strengthens/reinforces the hair so much it might make the relaxer not work as well (because it makes perms not work as well).

ACWN

However, if the henna you used is a premixed brand (meaning it came in a color like mahogony or brown and has only one package of powder), then I dont know that I would recommend it. Some brands are okay and should be safe, but others are not and could react VERY badly with the relaxer.

Deeshutin

Thanks for the prompt replys to my question, I will be using a henna that is not a premixed brand. It is just plain henna powder, that is used to dye the hair or skin. I should not have any problem with it. In fact it is not a name brand at all. 

I thank the both of you for your answers.

Deeshutin

ACWN

That doesnt mean its safe, Deeshutin.