Theft--- lots of it?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sara@AcatHenna
Theft--- lots of it?

I was checking my stats in flickr and noticed that they have dropped considerably. I ran a search for my work and found that yahoo images and sometimes google referred to this website-

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/mehndi,new

where I found my picture and ton's of other artists work... does anyone have any affiliation with this? I've checked and technically it is not a flickr product but more someone's project. Either way it's stealing views from our pages.. right?

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/mehndi,new

Has anyone heard of FivePrime.Org or have any ideas of how to address this?

---Update-- Ok-- I've done a little bit of research and found that this site gets our images through and API or third party search ie: Yahoo Images.. to exclude them from using our images in their database/clearinghouse/thieves den they want us to choose or opt out of allowing our content/pictures from being found via web searches.. bad idea for me who likes the referrals I get from people who found and like my work from a search engine.

I'm trying to limit some things in my Flickr.com Pro account such as who has access to my pictures and only allowing contacts to be able to take see my images in hi-res. Im hoping this will limit the thieves-- I've yet to find a way to contact them.

Im outraged that they list my flickr account name ACAT Henna as one of their "community users"  As if I voluntarily gave them rights to access and drive online users to their site by means of my work.... ARGHH!!

Remarkable Blackbird, Kenzi and several others are being ripped off by these people too..

Thanks for any advice--

Sara

Boise, Idaho

Aurora Mehndi
Re: Theft--- lots of it?

fiveprime is just basically a site that collects pics and orders them based on their tags and popularity. when you click on them, it still takes them to your flickr page. i've had stuff up on there for a while, i just make sure it has a watermark on it, cause it still leads back to me, and is therefore free advertising.

ex_machina
admin

The photos are linked from Flickr using HiveMind, a third-party application based on the Flickr API. As far as I can tell, HiveMind complies with the Flickr Community Guidelines, specifically the rule on external linking:

Do link back to Flickr when you post your Flickr content elsewhere.
The Flickr service makes it possible to post content hosted on Flickr to outside web sites. However, pages on other web sites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr.

If you don't want your Flickr photos to be available for external linking, you can adjust your privacy settings.

Sara@AcatHenna

Well thats a little calming to hear. I'm just not seeing the stats appear in my count. I'm also a little concerned about the image API sites (google, yahoo and others) referring to this clearinghouse site in their algorithms. I'd rather have my name linked directly to the tag of Henna than a clearinghouse site. Here is hoping that the hit counter starts working! :)

ex_machina
admin

I don't think HiveMind should have any effect on your Flickr stats. It's just a search tool for pulling up Flickr images. If you change the search term in the textbox near the top left , HiveMind gathers an entirely different group of images and uses the Flickr built-in "Lightbox" application to display them.

Here's what I got when I changed the search to lightning:

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/lightning/Interesting