I get to start playing with henna again!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sarah
I get to start playing with henna again!

Side note: I am loving this new forum set-up. I can actually put my real username on my posts instead of having to put asterisks around it. Thanks, HP Staff!

I've been holding off on putting henna in visible places while trying to find a job, just to keep from inadvertently putting off any potential employers. Well, I haven't been able to find an official job, but this summer I'll be babysitting a friend's daughter while said friend is in basic training for the army. Her husband works full-time and needs a sitter. So they're going to pay me to watch their toddler for three months, and that means I can play for the first two. I figure I'll need to start looking during that last couple weeks, and will need time for the henna to fade before interviews.

Also, now that summer's here, I can start henna-ing my youngest sister again. She's really my only willing/able human canvas, and she goes to a private Christian school that doesn't allow visible body modifications - including henna, tattoos, or piercings (other than earlobes, and that's only for girls). So my henna on her has been restricted to ankles during the school year, and now that she's out of school I'll be able to henna her hands too!

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)
Re: I get to start playing with henna again!

I hope you have lots of fun with your summer henna !

hilarys_henna

Tell me about it. Two years of no henna on my hands apart from holidays. Has been rough in my Nursing Program, they are really strict. I just hope that in whatever job I am able to get they allow henna on their employees. I wish it was more socially accepted/known so that people would be ok with it.

I'll have to hold off too for job searching. When will my henna day come!?

Enjoy your henna, relish it! 

ShedaShyrne

How was you past experience with Henna?  I'm going to try Henna this weekend for the very first time.  I've read some horrible stories about how hard it makes your hair and it's impossible to rinse out, blah blah blah so I'm a bit worried.

Would you advise adding oils, or a cream conditioner to the henna mixure before putting it in your hair?  Also, when treating your hair with henna, do you sit under the dryer?

Sarah

Horror stories? Yeesh! Henna's great for your hair! It conditions my hair and maks it a lovely shade of auburn.

I only use henna and lemon juice (and sometimes some ground cloves for scent) for my hair mixture. No creams, oils, or conditioners. I put it on my hair, wrap it up in plastic wrap, and sleep in it. No dryers! Henna works best when it's warm and moist.

It is true that it does take some work to wash out. I have to wash my hair twice with conditioner to get all the paste out. I don't use shampoo to wash it out because I find that my shampoo is too harsh for the henna, but conditioner doesn't affect it at all and makes it much easier to rinse out.

Nicole

Oh that's fun!  I remember when I first discovered henna (wow, I can do this myself at home!? lol) I was working at a historical site.  Yeah...I don't think they had henna in the Red River Settlement in 1851.  I had stained my fingernails and didn't realize it would take the whole summer for them to grow out, so I had invented a story that involved me being messy at wool dying.  LOL