How to color 90% grey to brown/black NOT Jet black

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
eagles123
How to color 90% grey to brown/black NOT Jet black

Dear forum,

I've been using the two step method to cover my greys to black succussfully for over 5 years.  But lately, I want my hair to look more natural meaning black/brown but not jet black.  With 90% grey, I don't think a one step method will work (ie. 60% indigo/40% hena mix), since you will  see unnatural red tones that that I want to avoid. and with 90% grey, I don't think the dye will be strong enough to take up and the coverage probably won't last.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Maybe vary the second step? 

Many thanks!

enissel
admin
Dark Brown

Hello,

I recommend using 75% Indigo and 25% Henna dye released with Amla. Leave on for 3 hours. Use a clarifying shampoo or Rainwash before applying the mixture. You will need to start the new mixture at your roots. The Lighter mixture will not make the length that is already black a lighter Brown color.

If this does not work, then leaving on the Indigo for 1 hour and 1/2-  2 hours instead of 3-4 hours should create a lighter dark brown instead of the full time which gives you jet black.

eagles123
Many thanks for your

Many thanks for your suggestions, 

Being 90% grey, the single step with only 25% henna will not allow enough Henna to bind and the indigo will wash out very quickly since I experienced this before.  Perhaps your recommendation could be used for the second indigo step after the initial Henna step or duing a touch up on the roots.  

enissel
admin
90% gray

Hello,

You can try the 25% Henna and 75% Indigo as a second step, after the initial Henna step. This method does not work for everyone, it may still come out looking black.