rhassoul clay for gentle lightening?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
MayaN
rhassoul clay for gentle lightening?

Hi!  I've been hennaing my hair for almost a year now.  I use only Mehandi products.  I started off with no gray at all, because my hair had been (chemically) highlighted/dyed at a salon.   So I was starting with a medium reddish brown shade.  Long story short, after experimenting with various recipes , henna got me very close to my goal color of copper red.  It was not quite light/bright enough for me, but I was satisfied because I realized that henna cannot lighten the starting hair color.

I have root growth that I need to touch up with henna every 3-4 weeks, especially because my roots are noticeably silver... I'm between 50-75% gray, depending on the area of my head. I am very careful to touch up ONLY my roots, not the whole head. 

Initially, my roots came up way too light and bright in comparison to the rest of my hair, due to all the silver.  I tried to fix it, but nothing seemed to work, and in frustration I just used a henndigo mix all over.  That did even up the color,  but it came out darker than expected, a warm brunette actually, and I really missed the red hair.  I got it back with MONTHS of relentless honey lightening, oil treatments, and vitamin c lightening, to successfully remove almost all of the indigo.   

And with help from the forum, I finally landed on a root recipe that made my mostly-gray roots KIND OF blend in with the rest of my (copper again) hair.  Switching from Jasmine to Twilght henna did the trick, when using Amla as my fruit acid, and making sure to leave it on my hair for 6 hours.   The new growth is still lighter and brighter, but it's not quite as obvious as before.

With the passage of time, that "new growth" (virgin hair that's been colored only with twilight henna) has gotten longer.   So, the top half of my head is a gorgeous copper red (my goal color), while the bottom half is a deeper, less vibrant shade that's oxidized over the past year.  It's a coppery medium brown now.   When I put my hair up in a bun, the color difference is noticeable and bothers me. 

So I tried to lighten the lengths even further, using the same methods mentioned, but my hair refused to lighten up much more.  So I tried a mild bleach solution.  That worked, of course, but left my hair very dry for a long while.   I followed up with a 50%henna/50%cassia mix.  Nice results, but still not as vibrant as the new growth.  I want to try re-hennaing the lengths with a higher percentage of henna next time, but I know it'll come up too dark (and not red-copper enough) unless I can manage to lighten the hair some more first.  I am not willing to bleach it yet again, because I finally nursed it back to health and I think another bleaching would surely damage it.  I don't want to try Color Oops either, because I've used it before and it's just too harsh for my hair.  

I know that the reason my lengths are darker is because those grays were previouslt dyed with an opaque chemical dye, and since henna is translucent, the new grays are being covered in a brighter way.  I get that, and I also realize I could make the henna darker on the new growth by doing multiple layers of henna or adding a bit of indigo.  But I don't wanna do that, because I prefer the color of the new growth, not the color of the lengths.  I know that if I just keep trimming the ends off, eventually the "new growth" will be 100% of my hair and the problem will be solved. But since my hair grows slowly, and I'm trying to grow it longer, that's going to take a really long time. 

Any ideas I haven't already tried, for gently lightening the lengths?  I have not tried rhassoul clay yet, and wondering if anyone has tried it?  

Many thanks, 

Maya 

enissel
admin
Lightening

Hello,

Rhassoul clay will not lighten the hair and often dries out the hair. It is the kind of clay that is used in face and hair masks to moisturize. I could not find any evidence that it will work to lighten the hair.

Have you tried Rainwash? Part of the darkening could be due to mineral buildup.

MayaN
thanks!

I've used Rainwash just on my roots to prep my hair before hennaing, but it's been a long while since I've used it all over.   I'll try it, thanks.  Maya

enissel
admin
Rainwash

Hello,

You are welcome! Here is where you can purchase Rainwash on Mehandi.com http://www.mehandi.com/product-p/rain_01.htm