Mix or Premix? Henna, Indigo, & Cassia for Brown

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ursurvivor

How do you properly mix these powders?  Do you wait for the dye to release and then add indigo or do you mix them all together and apply (haven't had success with that method).  If I were to purchase one of the Mehandi blends, how would that color be achieved?  I do not like the color of henna on it's own and I just want to cover graying hair.  I'd like to get an ash brown / light brown color.  Help!

I've mixed henna and indigo together at the same time and got red/orange.

I mixed indigo powder with prepared dye released henna and got red.

I mixed dye released indigo with dye released henna and got jet black.

What am I doing wrong?  I've tried different proportions as well.

rchou
admin
Mixing

For a light brown, you'll need to mix henna and cassia, dye release, then mix indigo paste and stir it in. light brown would be 4 parts cassia, 1 part henna, 1 part indigo. dye release with amla to cool out red/golden tones.

http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/Chapter_7_Mixing_and_T...

emerald888
Light brown?

I'm also trying to achieve a light brown... So I'm curious if you've had any luck with this and what ratios of each plant you've used. :-)

emerald888
Maybe helpful?

It is my understanding that the henna needs to be prepared and dye released.  Same with cassia.  Indigo degrades very quickly and therefore should be mixed only when you are ready to add it to your henna

It's also my understanding (mostly through the tons of hair wads I've dyed with varying degrees of henna, indigo, and amla) that you aren't going to achieve a light brown color without the red using henna and indigo alone.  Unfortunately.

I believe the mix needs to be primarily composed of cassia, with some amounts of dye released henna and freshly prepared indigo mixed in.  Someone else gave a starting of 4 parts to 1 part to 1 part.

I'm trying to achieve the same color you are, and it's not been easy so far.  I'm getting inconsistent results so I'm terrified to put any of this on my head given the permanance.  I haven't tried any cassia mixes because I spent all the money I had on indigo and henna.. so I unfortunately can't say anything about the ratios; I'm purely going by what I'm reading here so far.  I'm hoping you might have information to report back at this point.  

When I can afford some cassia, I'll let you know what I manage to come up with.

JanjaNS

Did anyone try this proportion to achieve brown shades? 

And, what with cassia? I found on some places, on the internet, that cassia goes in the mix with henna in powder forms, and then together go on dye release. And on some other places, cassia is mixing with henna few moments before application.  Also, the same goes for amla, somebody says it goes with henna and cassia in the mix, and put to dye release, and others say that amla, also as cassia, both, go with henna minutes before applying paste on hair.

It's when someone wants brown shades of hair. I know that cassia has the same dye release hours as henna, and that is bodering me. Which way is corect? 

I'm sorry if i have spelling and grammar and sense of meaning of/in english, it's not my native language. 

enissel
admin

Hello,

Henna, Cassia and Amla should be mixed together as powders, then add distilled water to make the paste. The paste should sit for 8-12 hours before adding Indigo to the mix. Once the Indigo has been added, you want to apply right away.

The lighter brown you want, the more cassia you add to the mix. The closer to medium brown, the less cassia you will add to the mix.

http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/Chapter_7_Mixing_and_T...

Let us know if you have additional questions.