gray root frustration

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
MayaN
gray root frustration

Hi, I recently tried the copperberry fruit acid (with 100% Jasmine henna and distilled room temp. water ) on my 50% medium brown 50% gray roots, and I really liked the results.  I got a vibrant (but not orange) coppery medium auburn that blends in super well with the henna job I did on the lengths of my hair.  Hooray.  

But I'm still having trouble getting a similar shade result on the gray root areas at the top of my head and around my face, because those root areas grow in almost ALL SILVER, no brown.  This is what I've tried so far, in the sequence described, to tryu to get those grayest areas to come up deeper (and yes, always checking for good dye release, using Rain Wash, and leaving henna on 4-6 hours, under plastic and a warm head wrap, and sometimes sitting out in the hot Las Vegas sun for part of the time):

1.) Using amla as the acidic component, just for those grayer areas.  For me, amla did NOT prevent the Jasmine henna from coming up bright orange-y.   Granted, it might have been even brighter without the amla!  But even with layering the henna 3 times, it was still too bright.  

2.) Using malluma kristalovino as the acidic component.  Worth a try, I thought.  But still with the orangey "hot roots" look.  So I layered this mix on one more time, or maybe twice, it's all a blur,  for only a slight increase in color depth.   

3.) Back to the Jasmin-henna + amla mix again.  Why you ask?  Because I noticed a very slight garnet/cherry/burgundy tinge from the malluma kristalovino.  Is that the tone it normally shows up?  That freaked me out, because I want to absolutely avoid cool toned red hair, it's a disaster with my skin tone.  I want to stay golden coppery auburn.  So then I did two more applications of the Jasmine-amla mix (with my husband questioning my sanity at this point) and FINALLY... the roots at the top and sides of my head now blend with the rest of my hair.  No more "hot roots" flickering bright orange, yay.

But folks, this took a total of 6-7 layers of henna at the root.  So logically that means that when my silver roots begin to show every 3-4 weeks,  I'll have to do just as many layers on them to bring the color up to where it matches the rest of my hair.  I'm the opposite of lazy, but doing 6 layers of henna every few weeks for 4-6 hours processing time for each layer is a bit labor intensive, even for me.  And I'm not open to adding a tiny bit of indigo to the mix or to using an indigo gloss afterward.  I've tried both those ideas in the recent past, following directions to the letter,  and tiny amounts of indigo did nothing while slightly larger amounts resulted in a super attractive (not) greenish espresso brown shade that took weeks of natural lightening methods to correct back to copper.  Indigo and I have parted ways forever more.  So I'm looking for a different solution.  Here are my two ideas.  Please tell me which is the best idea, or maybe suggest something entirely different.  

~ Switch to using Twilight henna for the nearly pure silver root areas?  I hesitate to do that because I'm worried that Twilight will (especially with repeated use) turn out too dark or too cool (berry) toned unless I mix it with Cassia, and wouldn't that be about the same as just continuing to use Jasmine?

~ Use the Jasmine/Amla mix but touch up roots every 2 weeks instead of every 4, so that there's some progressive overlap/more depth on the gray?   

Basically I'm looking for a way to make the pure gray go just a bit more coppery brown instead of bright orange, without using indigo and without having the warm coppery goodness veer off into cool burgundy-land.  Is there anything I can add to my recipe to achieve that better than with amla?  A certain kind of herbal tea or juice , for example, or a different plant powder?  Or a different fruit acid than the ones I've tried?  I figure there's gotta be something else to try.    

Last question.  I've heard that aloe vera juice is a good pH for mixing with henna and contains lots of moisture and a ton of antioxidants to keep henna from going too dark over time.  True?  If so, what sort of tonal effect (warm vs. cool) is aloe known to have on henna results?  Put another way, what fruit acid does it "act" like?  

I really appreciate any help at all, many thanks!  

enissel
admin
Hello,

Hello,

I would recommend using the Rajasthani Twilight henna and Malluma kristalovino fruit acid or blueberry juice. The malluma kristalovino makes a darker henna stain and the blueberry juice adds some ash tones similar to amla. Vinegar as an acid can also brown the henna a bit without adding indigo. Mixes with vinegar tend to not smell as nice,  but it may be what you are looking for.

I would not recommend adding aloe vera juice to the henna. We have not tested it, so we do not know how it will effect the henna color. You are welcome to test it on your own. If you do,  I would test it on hair harvested from your hair brush.

MayaN
Great ideas, thank you! 

Great ideas, thank you!