peroxide giving relief from darkening, have some concerns though

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
jumpstop
peroxide giving relief from darkening, have some concerns though

I saved near-black hair from a haircut and soaked in 3% drug store hydrogen peroxide, hair was still strong and flexible after 24 hours so I decided to give it a go. To be honest I couldn't see much difference in the hair swatch at about 48 hours, when it had dried. But at least there didn't seem to be anything to lose by trying it.

I just use my fingers to run a few drops of the peroxide through the ends of my hair, where indigo builds up, in the morning and/or evening, depending on if I remember. After a week, I'd say I do have some relief from the worst of the darkening. And I like the general effect of not having every hair the same color.

So does anyone see a risk in what I"m doing? Hair seems strong - am I going to wake up one morning and have reason to regret?

Me: Male, 60ish, originally dark brown, now naturally medium silver, never used anything but indigo and henna for color, about 5 years experience, very careful about sourcing the products. My hair's too short and I"m not skilled enough to do roots only myself. I mostly do 2-step. Henndigo alone does not cover the grey well. With 2-step, ends get dark, more black than brown, after repeated use of any mixture containing indigo. Experimenting with different fruit acids, vitamin C powder, baking soda has had little to no effect.

enissel
admin
Hair Darkening

Hello,

There is no harm is using hydrogen peroxide on your hair to lighten it a little bit. Have you tried using a clarifying shampoo or rainwash before you apply the henndigo mixture to your hair? Which henna and indigo are you using?

jumpstop
darkening, recipes, what I've tried, and the e-book

> Have you tried using...

I have tried very many combinations of recipes and procedures over 5 years. For people who have gone 50% or more grey, and who don't want red, maroon, or copper hair, there is a reason why Mehandi.com and several other brands I could name recommend the 2-step process for grey hair, and I am most definitely part of that reason. I mostly use Mehandi.com products whose principals sponsor this forum so out of respect I'll omit naming other brands that I trust. I will say I henndigo'd with the typical 2:1 ratio using 100% Mehandi.com products for roughly the first 2 years, and experienced poor color in the first inch of hair near the roots, plus intense indigo buildup aggravated by the need for frequent touch-ups. Fortunately for me my hair grows way fast

As for rainwash, it is advertised as being for people who have to cope with hard water, and the city water supply where I live is outstanding.

I should probably mention that the e-book, Chapter 10 gave me the idea to try peroxide. http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/Chapter_10_lightening_...

Interesting to note that chapter omits to recommend oils, citric acid, ascorbic acid/Vit. C, and so on. Those things might be good for hair but they don't seem to affect actual color for me. I continue to experiment with Vit. C and would try citric acid but there are posts on very many forums that have led me to believe that those things are not stripping out indigo for most users, and the users who report success are washing their hair a great deal--based on pictures of results that people post, I very strongly suspect it's their shampoos that are having as much or more effect on the color as the acids themselves. The results in  Chapter 10 of the e-book look far superior to anything else I've seen online for lightening indigo.

m_moore
admin
We only recommend the two

We only recommend the two step process for black @ Mehandi.com.

The Rainwash removes build up in the hair which can also come from sweat, sebum, hair products, ect...

Peroxide alone isn't going to do anything.

You could try doing clarifying shampoo mixed with vitamin c powder (no exact measurements) into a paste and letting it sit on the hair for 20 minutes, then following through with drenching the hair in coconut oil for a couple of hours. This method works for some and others it doesn't It depends from head to head.

Vitamin C, essential oils, ascorbic acid and citric acid won't lighten up hair. The vitamin c with clarifying shampoo as well as the coconut oil only are beneficial from wiggling loose any indigo that may not have fully binded to the keratin in the hair.

I hope this helps =]

jumpstop
Peroxide alone and no other substance recommended in Chapter 10

>Peroxide alone isn't going to do anything.

Did you read Chapter 10 of the e-book? Peroxide is the only ingredient mentioned. Once again it's at http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/Chapter_10_lightening_...

IMO, those are the best pictures of indigo lightening anywhere online.

m_moore
admin
I work for Mehandi.... I've
I work for Mehandi.... I've helped with with editing the book and I'm actually in that chapter... in the beginning they are talking about low volume peroxide products. The indigo that is a bright blue, I put bleach on that. Bleach (for hair) has peroxide in the developer.
ShaniAZ
Lightening

I use powdered bleach.  I mix it with 30 volume developer and leave on my hair for a few minutes. (longer the lighter I want the hair to be).  I get many shades of highlights this way, and my naturally graying-black hair stays vibrant red.  I do this around once a year.  My hair is longer and stronger than it's ever been in my life.   My bi-monthly henna root dye is Monsoon, Copperberry and distilled water.

ShaniAZ
To clarify

I use the bleach over henna, and I've used it over a henna/indigo mix.  I have not tried it over indigo alone because I know it would only make the blue indigo lighter blue.  Drugstore Hydrogen Peroxide is waer with only 3% hydrogen peroxide  It is highly unlikely that a miniscule concentration like that will lighten hair.   In contrast, hair color "developer" (hydrogen peroxide) has much higher concentrations.  The most common developers are 20 Volume, 30 Volume, and 40 Volume.  20 Volume developer has 6.06% hydrogen peroxide, 30 Volume has 9.09% hydrogen peroxide, and 40 Volume has 12.12% hydrogen peroxide.  The greater the concentration of peroxide, the greater the "lift" (lightening). Personally,  I have not been able to get any lift of henna with even 40 Volume developer. The henna is just too strong for it.  This is why I use gentle powdered bleach.  The key to bleach is to leave it on for as little time as possible.  Some hair can be lightened in 5 minutes...other hair takes 20 minutes, etc.