indigo vs. buxus

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
MayaN
indigo vs. buxus

Hi, I'm a first time henna user.  Getting close to taking the plunge and about to order supplies.   I'll be starting off (after application of Color Oops) a patchy strawberry blond / light brown shade, with roots that are 80% gray 20% medium brown.  My chemically processed hair could really use a conditioning boost, so I kinda want to include cassia in the mix, which I'm thinking should work out color wise too, since I'd like to wind up some variation of golden copper.  So I was thinking a mix of henna and cassia would work.  But I'd rather it lean brownish than pop up bright orange.  So I was thinking I should add a small amount of brown to tone it down.  What would be better for doing that on chemically highlighted hair,  buxus or indigo?  I don't see buxus for sale on this site, am I looking in the wrong place?  Can anyone suggest a ratio for my strand testing?  Thanks so much for your help!  Maya

rchou
admin
Buxus

Hello,

We get this questions fairly frequently. We have not carried buxus for years because the only country to produce and export real buxus is Yemen, whose exports have stopped due to civil unrest within the country. Sadly, there is no estimate as to when it may ever return.

However, you can definitely do a golden copper with our products! I would recommend starting by testing Sunshine kit and Chai kit samples, and see how your hair turns out with those. If you want a little more red/darkness/golden tones/whatever, you can contact us via phone, email, chat, or this forum and we can help you adjust the mix to your needs.

MayaN
Thanks so much.  I'd like to

Thanks so much.  I'd like to be able mix/strand test various henna/cassia rations myslef, so I'm about to place an order for the type of henna you suggested for me in a previous post, along with some cassia.  Judging by the description of the "Sunshine kit" I think that'll be in keeping with your reply above too.  I'd like to have some amla or indigo on hand, without having to place an addititional order, just in case I find that the henna/cassia mixtures test up too blond or too vivid.  I'm turned off the idea of adding indigo, since I understand that'd make future bleaching impossible (or more complicated).  I'm not wanting or expecting to ever have to bleach my hennaed hair, but if it ever goes too dark, that'd be a nice "Plan B" option to have.  So I have a couple questions about amla.  I gather that indigo is added for a "browning" / darkening effect while amla would be added for more of an orange-cooling effect without making it any darker, is that correct?  Is amla something that can be added to a henna-cassia mixure that does NOT contain indigo, or does it only work alongside indigo?  Lastly, there would be no reason for me to have "lightening and brightening" Kristalovino on hand, correct?... because if the henna/cassio ration was not bright enough on teh strand tests, I'd just be adding more henna, and if not light enough, I'd just add more cassia.  I'm not looking to achieve a really precise color, I totally realize that the results are going to be somewhat unpredictable no matter how much I try to understand and control the variables.  But on the same hand I'm trying to make sure I order everything that I might need in order to produce some shade of golden copper (after oxidation), rather than vivid orange,  without having to do multiple orders/shipping charges.  Thanks!  

rchou
admin
Hello,

Hello,

You have a good plan set up! Yes, if you're going to be playing around with the powders, I'd advise having both henna and cassia on hand (Twilight henna and either Sudina or Zekhara cassia should be fine), and as for indigo, you can order it in 25g packets if you don't feel you'll need too much. Amla will cool out brighter tones in a henna/cassia mix to an extent, but indigo will do it much more. Just a tsp or so of indigo in a cassia henna mix most likely will not make future lightening a big deal unless you plan to lighten all the way up to a bright yellow or platinum tone (in which case you may see a blue or green cast).

The best bet is to start with a large percentage of cassia and a little henna, dye-released with amla. You may want to try Malluma Kristalovino and Nightfall Rose as acid powders too, as they each do slightly different deepening or cooling effects, if you find amla doesn't mute the orange tones enough. Increase henna as needed, and if needed, add indigo.

MayaN
Thanks so much for the

Thanks so much for the guidance, really appreciate it.  

MayaN
woops, one more question!

Sorry to be such a pest, just confused about whether to order Jasmine or Twilight, for achieving golden coppery red over pourous, previously highlighted hair that will be Color Oops'ed down to a straw color before I do henna.  Here you suggest the Twilight one mixed with cassia, but in our prior exchange (when I was thinking I wanted more of a coppery BROWN result), you had suggested the Jasmine mixed with indigo.  Would there be anything wrong with the idea of mixing the Jasmine with cassia, to shoot for golden copper?  I'm a little afraid of the twilight because I definitely don't want the undertone of the red to be cool/wine/cherry-like.  Going for a warm Amy Adams kind of result that I would only want to cool down with amla or indigo if the strand test winds up being too vivid for me, like orange.   

The Jasmine sounds good to me because it says it's especially for chemically treated hair that's not uniform in color.  That's me!  But which of the two hennas is warmer in tone?  Or is it that they do not differ in tone and that the Jasmine is just less pigmented and therefore might require less cassia in the mix that Twilight would?   Thanks for all your help!   

rchou
admin
Jasmine and Twilight are very

Jasmine and Twilight are very similar in tone. They are both coppery, but Twilight has a higher dye content, so it will go towards a deeper copper, and do better for covering grays. If you are mixing with cassia, there won't be a huge difference because the henna will be diluted. Jasmine does have a finer sift, so it would be more gentle on chemically treated hair.

MayaN
Perfect, I just placed my

Perfect, I just placed my order a couple days ago.  Thanks so much for the guidance, it's been super helpful!        .