box dye over henna? what kind of result?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ess
box dye over henna? what kind of result?

I asked this question in another thread but I think it got buried, and I'd love some guidance.

What color do you suppose I might achieve by applying a boxed dye--say a dark neutral or ash blonde--over my hennaed hair? It's currently a medium copper/auburn color, and my natural is a light-medium mousy brown with a good amount of grey.

I go back and forth between thinking the current color is just lovely, and worrying that it doesn't suit my skin tone. So, something to tone down the copper and push more brown?

I've got buxus on hand, but my last effort with it was less than successful. Basically washed out immediately, if it did anything at all. I'm willing to try it again, but I don't want to mess with indigo.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ACWN
Re: box dye over henna? what kind of result?

The trouble with plant dyes is you can really only go darker with boxed dye, not lighter. Its extremely hard, and risky for your hair, to try and go lighter since plany dyes literally bind to the core of your hair, they dont sit on the shaft like chemical dyes do.

To go lighter, you would first have to remove your natural color under the henna before the henna would begin to be removed. And by the time you got to a blond color, your hair would be fried.

Now, you COULD get a color to match your natural color, or if you arent fond of that color, a brown you would like but do know that the color may turn out darker than you were expecting and may only last a couple weeks at best, or a single wash at worse - depending on how recently you henna-ed.

Henna makes the hair shaft very smooth, which makes it very hard for chemical dye to grab and hold on.

Have you considered doing another henna with some buxus in it? This would push it to a little more brown. Strand test first though.

Ess

I don't actually want to BE blonde, I was just thinking that using a dark blond instead of a light or medium brown might result in a slightly lighter brown-ish red. I don't want to be as dark as chocolate brown. But yeah, I do understand that whatever I use will make the color I have darker than it is right now.

I think I'll probably try buxus one more time. Thanks for your help!

Carrie

I've used chemical ash blonde dyes over henna 3 times. Once with a permanent Wella dye (so yeah, not box dye but dye from the beauty supply store) and twice with a demi Ion dye with 10 vol developer. All 3 times I used a light to medium ash blonde. The color over henna comes out quite a bit darker, darker than medium brown. It does cut the henna glow quite a bit. It doesn't come out as ashy as intended because it can't lift the henna at all.

I liked the color the last 2 times with the demi Ion color even though it was dark, and it was nice and shiny at first, but the damage from even a 10 vol developer is showing up very quickly, within a week!! on my ends, and the color fades I'd say 80% within 3 weeks. It fades completely from my gray hairs within ~1 week, and less completely from the hennaed hair but it's noticeably starting to fade by 1 week.

Hope that helps.

If your henna is fairly light, like a coppery orange, then doing a 15-minute dilute indigo gloss or a buxus gloss over it will actually give you lighter hair, in the light golden brown range. If your hair is saturated with henna, though, like a dark auburn/burgundy, then your indigo or buxus gloss will give you medium to darker brown (I've tested this on my own hairballs).

Ess

Thanks, both of you, for your help! You've convinced me away from the box, but now I have a buxus question:

I've done something like 3 or 4 full-head henna glosses, the last one being the strongest, with maybe 4 tbsp henna and one tbsp buxus in a cup or so of conditioner. That was over a month ago.

As I said, the buxus hardly did a thing. I'm guessing I need to add more...

I know I can't just do a buxus gloss over what I have now because I have too much grey showing. My question is: should I do a one-step henna mixed with buxus OR should I do roots-only with henna and then a buxus gloss?

I really do like the auburn cast, but a wee bit on the browner side is what I'm after.

Carrie

Buxus isn't as strong as henna. To make a henna mix browner than plain henna would be, you'd need to use more buxus than henna by volume. (If you're measuring by weight, you can use equal weights since buxus is also lighter than henna per unit of volume).

I would not expect 4 Tbsp henna + 1 Tbsp buxus to look any different from just henna because a small amount of a weaker dye isn't going to show up much.

What I'd suggest is for you to touch up your roots with henna, then do a 2nd step all over with a buxus gloss - about 2 Tbsp buxus stirred into a cup of conditioner, used immediately for maybe 30 minutes. Cover it while it's on your head and keep it warm with a scarf or hat. Don't add anything acidic to the buxus or let it sit long before applying it.

Ess

Carrie, thank you for this advice. It's really helpful. I'm preparing to do this tonight, and I have yet one more dumb question: when you say to mix 2 tbsp of buxus into a cup of conditioner for the gloss, do you mean buxus powder, or buxus that has already been stirred into a paste with water?

ACWN

I dont THINK it matters, but the conditioner could have enough water content to induce dye release in buxus. When it doubt, mix it like you normally would, just a tish bit thicker.

Carrie

I tend to mix my powders with liquid before adding them to the conditioner but it's a matter of what you prefer. 2 Tbsp of powder would make your gloss about twice as strong as 2 Tbsp paste would.

Ess

Well, I have a newly colored head. :) But I'm not seeing much more brown, really, than I normally do, though te buxus does seem to have dampened the "bozo glow" I usually see on my greys.

Is it possible that my hair is buxus-resistant? Or maybe the gloss should have been stronger and/or left on longer?

Or maybe when it oxidizes it will be browner? Don't get me wrong, the color is beautiful and my hair feels GREAT!

Carrie

It can darken a little over 2 days. If you don't see enough brown by then, you can repeat it. Possibly you could have made it stronger or left it on longer the first time.

Peachallie
Want to use box color over COLORA henna

Clairol stated "No problem, stay close to your natural color". Yet I have read of hair falling out, SMOKE from fried hair and green hair results. Any answers?

m_moore
admin
If the henna you're using isn

If the henna you're using isn't lab tested, I would not recommend using a boxed dye on top. You can always snip a piece of hair and test it for yourself.

Pure henna, like Ancient Sunrise, can have chemical color put on top with no problem.