Hendgigo different red base and different stages

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
bluebey
Hendgigo different red base and different stages

Hello

Firstly I have found this forum to be amazing at assisting me in restoring my greying dark brown to a youthful glossy dark brown with a variety of trial and error. I had an anaphylactic shock reaction over a year ago having had my hair semi-permanently coloured dark brown at the salon which I had done for years. Two paramedics, a hospital visit, a near coma experience, body on fire and breathing three times faster than safe, definitely brought it home to me. I am allergic to PPD and its sister chemicals in dark hair dyes.

So my questions are from following these experiments :

I have successfully got the dark  brown black with the following technique but would potentially like to improve.

Stage 1 Sunrise Henna 100g with 25g indigo left on for four hours.  Yikes my grey roots went bright orange.

Stage two - 100g Sunrise Henna plus 175g Indigo left on for 6 hours. Superb overall coverage to a dark glossy brown with a slight green hue which I believe will fade.  Still had some bright orange on roots and hairline.

Stage 3 two tablespoons of Indigo mixed with water and applied to orangey roots only. Left on for 40 mins and rinsed off. Superb - no orangey roots but I think it will fade too fast.

My question is, you can get different types of red from the henna and so far i have used Sunrise henna and indigo, but having it delivered to the UK is expensive. At Henna Boy in the UK you can buy what is called a Red Red, as in it is more of a red than an orange.  Has anybody used the redder red to achieve a good dark brown, and did it work well with the indigo?  Also I am thinking that in order to cover the grey roots, it needs to have a solid henna base, and so I am thinking that the red red will give the Indigo more of  a base to stick to than the orangey red. Maybe I am wrong, and not quite understanding the way indigo works with henna.

Secondly my trial and error got me the result after three goes, and I am wondering if there is a better way of doing what I did to save time, and also I probably used far more henna and indigo than what was really necessary as I had a bit left, but as you cannot freeze it with indigo mixed in the henna, it was a bit of a waste. My hair is just below my shoulder. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just to note that my greys are really stubborn, but I did not really understand why the second stage of nearly two thirds Indigo mixed with henna still resulted in orangey roots and orangey hairline when I left it on for 6 hours. Thes orange bits I know where the grey hair.

I do not mind doing a two step but a three step is very time-consuming.

Overall I am very pleased to have found an alternative, but any help in improving future applications would be great.

Thanks very much

rchou
admin
Dark brunette

Hello,

Look into using the Dark Brunette Kit for Gray hair, or its equivalent: 100g AS Rajasthani Twilight henna dye-released with Malluma Kristalovino, and 200g AS Zekhara indigo.

The Twilight is our highest dye content henna, so if it is properly dye-released and applied for 3-4 hours on very clean hair, it will cover to a deep color wonderfully. The MK acid powder dye-releases the henna to a much deeper shade. A dark brunette mix should be at least 2 parts indigo to 1 part henna for a rich deep color. If you are getting orange roots, most the hair was not clean enough, there wasn't enough indigo, or you were dye-releasing with an acid like lemon juice, which causes a brighter tone.

Hope this helps!

bluebey
Dark Brunette

Hello

Thanks for your reply. 

I added Alma to the henna and let it stand for around 20 hours for dye release. Prior to stage 1 I used Rainwash for 40 mins then washed and dried my hair. I think from what you have said, I needed to have added more indigo. I will give the kit a try... I had not heard of Malluma Kristalovino and used Alma to cool the brunette colour.

Also,  it sounds like I would not have to do different stages, and that the kit would do everything in one stage.

Thanks again

rchou
admin
Hello,

Hello,

Yes, the dark brunette 1:2 ratio is a mix that you would do all in one step. Your problem may be with the dye release time. You want to use your henna about 8-12 hours after you've mixed it. After 12, the henna slowly begins to demise, and by 24 hours, the majority of the dye molecules will have deteriorated at that point.

Amla can be used to cool out brown tones. You just need 25g for every 100g henna, and mix with water. Too much could also cause the henna to be too acidic and make the tone brassy again.

bluebey
OK thank you.... I will

OK thank you.... I will reduce the dye release time next time to 8-12 hours.  I think I may have used too much alma as well!