Colour Formula Questions! Light/Medium Natural Brown

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rhoward
Colour Formula Questions! Light/Medium Natural Brown

Hi Everyone

I've been reading and reading for what feels like forever and am probably more confused that I was before I read a thing!

I am trying to achive a light natural brown, which is my natural colour, I mainly want the strength, shine and conditioning benefits of henna/amla/cassia/indigo with slight colour.

I read this post by an Admin and did a happy dance knowing that it is possible

"For a light brown, you'll need to mix henna and cassia, dye release, then mix indigo paste and stir it in. light brown would be 4 parts cassia, 1 part henna, 1 part indigo. dye release with amla to cool out red/golden tones.

http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/Chapter_7_Mixing_and_T..."

I want to dye release with Amla to cool out the red and gold tones as much as possible to try and get natural light brown.

My questions are (and please forgive me if any of them sound really silly!)

Do I dye release the Cassia seperate to the henna or with the henna?

Do I mix the henna/amla with warm distilled water?

Do I mix the Cassia/amla with warm distilled water?

Do I mix the indigo with warm distilled salted water?  Do I wait 15 minutes after mixing the indigo before adding it to the rest of the mix?

Do I wrap my hair once its all on my head or is it better to leave it unwrapped, which way lets the indigo work better?

How long do I leave it on my head to get the coolet colour I can?  I read that indigo stops working after 2 hours so thought 2 hours would be long enough?

What ratio of Amla to Cassia/henna is best for getting the maximum cooling benefits without being too much to upset the indigo? I have read 1/4, 1/5 and 1/3.  I'd really like to use 1/3 but is it too much for the indigo to cope with?

My proposed formula is this

Can I use 4 parts cassia (with 1/4 amla for dye release), 1 part henna (with 1/3 amla for dye release) and 2 parts indigo to try and get a less red colour?

Is this worth trying or am I headed for disaster!

Sorry for all the questions. Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated

Rhoward
One more question!  I'm in

One more question!  I'm in Australia, will my powders still be ok to use after going though the delayed process of international postage?

Clohenna
Light brown recipe! Minimize reddish tones with amla/buxus?

Hello Rhoward and everybody! 

This is my very first post after I did some reading, too.

I decided to write here because I want to achieve exactly the same colour you are looking for and I also tried the recipe suggested by the admin (4:1:1 respectively of cassia, henna and indigo). That's how I did it: I mixed henna and cassia together with amla (at a ratio of 1 part amla to 4 parts henna+cassia), added distilled water and let it sit for 12 hours to release the dye. After the henna-cassia-amla mix was ready, I separately prepared the indigo with a piece of salt as well as distilled water. Then I added indigo in the paste and stirred together until well mixed. I applied it immediately to my hair and left it on for 2 hours. This is the way I did it, but you'd better wait for a feedback from Mehandi experts since I don't know if I made any mistake. Anyway, this link may be useful for you: 

http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/chapters/chap7/7_brune...

I was pretty happy with the colour that came out: finally a light brown, even if it was a bit golden. The problem is that it turned out I'm allergic to indigo because I experienced nausea and generalized weakness during the preparation and application of the paste and even after washing my hair. So I was wondering whether I could use buxus instead of indigo or maybe the resulting colour would be different? I don't want my hair to become greenish! Also, is it true that buxus helps tone down the red/orange of henna because it produces ashier tones like amla? Last time I hennaed my hair, I used equal parts of henna, cassia (dye released with 1/4 of amla) and walnut hull powder, but as a result of the experiment my hair turned definitely too much reddish and I would like to know if there is an emergency way to fix this, such as a hair mask using only amla or whatever it takes to get rid of that red!  

Looking forward to any advice and hope I've been of help!

Thanks in advance! 

Rhoward
Thank you so much Clohenna,

Thank you so much Clohenna, my herbs got here this morning so I saw your reply just in time!  I'm so sorry to hear of your reaction to the indigo, I hope you can get your hands on some buxus.

I have heard of girls doing an indigo gloss to tone down red tones, maybe a buxus gloss would achive the same result?  Of course dont take my word for it, I'm not very knowledageble in this at all!  Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about chimes in with some advice for you.

In any case I am very grateful for you sharing your experience, light golden brown sounds perfect to me!

Clohenna
You are more than welcome,
I'm glad I was able to help you Rhoward! See? Perfect timing! ;) I think your guess of the buxus gloss is absolutely right, I promise I'll try it as soon as I can! My only fear about using buxus alone is to go too dark but as the gloss is a diluted dye I'm going to give it a chance! As far as your recipe is concerned, maybe if you mixed a ratio of 1:3 of amla and henna+cassia it would tone down the red in henna even more, but I'm not quite sure how it would affect indigo.. Let me know how it goes and thank you for your valuable advice, it is most appreciated!