Blending new growth with Cassia/Henna &/or Catnip: dye or gloss?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
berrybleu
Blending new growth with Cassia/Henna &/or Catnip: dye or gloss?

I recently mixed up some Dawn dish detergent, some powdered vitamin C / ascorbic acid and some coconut oil and stripped out an auburn salon dye job as best I could. Over time I was able to lighten it to a light red/orange.

When I had lightened it as much as I thought I was going to and I couldn’t stand the orangey color any longer, I tried cassiaing/hennaing my hair (Rainbow Strawberry Blond) but I knew it would be hard to cover the gray (about 20 to 25%) so I used Trader Joe’s coffee concentrate instead of water and I used about 1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and I left it in overnight. It came out great except that it was much darker than the strawberry blond I was hoping for didn’t really touch the 1 3/4 to 2 inches of root. So I went back to the salon (actually the local beauty school) and had the roots done. Interestingly, although my roots looked gray to me both the stylist and the instructor told me they didn’t see any gray.

I had a lot of confidence in the Rainbow brand based on the research I did, otherwise I would have been worried about a reaction between the commercial color and the henna. The stylist deliberately went a little darker than the henna color I wound up with (which they described as a true red). They used demi gloss so it would grow out gradually.

It’s been about 3 1/2 weeks and I can see about 1/4“ of a much lighter color which is definitely “reading” as gray.

I’ve started stripping the cassia/henna and the salon root job with the Dawn solution.  Unfortunately, the two honey lightening treatments I tried didn’t seem to do anything to soften the demarcation line with the new growth.

And I’m considering another Rainbow cassia/henna in “Marigold” or perhaps a DIY gloss root touch using the Rainbow Marigold; and maybe supplementing with a catnip treatment. Given my experience with the Rainbow Strawberry Blond, I’m not expecting the color to “take” that well with the new growth but I was hoping if I did it every two weeks or so that the color would accumulate.

Has anyone tried this? I know if I do the Rainbow gloss I’ll need to prepare the henna/cassia to get the dye release. I thought I would use coconut oil as the carrier substance since coconut oil can penetrate the hair shaft. The catnip treatment seems pretty affordable but the whole process seems a little fussy if you follow any of the better known versions of this treatment. Can anyone comment on whether it’s possible to get almost as good results without being really precise: e.g.: 4.75 hours to steep; refrigerating overnight (is this optional?).

Which method would be easier to precisely target just the roots? Or is precision not that important?

Thanks so much

BB

rchou
admin
Roots

Hello,

This forum is for the use of Ancient Sunrise henna products, so I would not be able to give advice on or suggest anything about another brand. The Ancient sunrise kit in Sunshine is a mixture of mostly cassia and a small amount of henna, which will dye gray and light hair to a strawberry blond shade. The Chai kit would create a golden dark blonde to light brown. Depending on your needs, I'm thinking either of these two mixes would do very well, and provide fuller coverage than your current products.

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/blondebundle/index.html

If you need any help, you can always respond or call us at customer service!

Rebecca