Experimenting with henna gloss, advice?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
RedMaple
Experimenting with henna gloss, advice?

Hello all,

I've been experimenting with henna for the past year. My natural hair is dark blond to light brown with some blond and copper highlights occuring naturally (my dad was a carrottop). I have very few greys.

After reading a lot of entries, I decided to try a henna gloss. It was much easier to apply and I loved the results. My hair is shiny and coppery, like a light auburn. It's just want I want. My only concern is that it fades a bit too fast. My current gloss is henna mixed with hot water and some lemon juice, let it sit, then mix that paste with coconut milk, roughly 50-50 (got this recipe from a forum post). I apply that and let it sit for 20 min and then rinse it out. The first few days it is a vivid red, then it becomes a lovely auburn.

To make it last a bit longer, I had a few thoughts and hope you'd all weigh in. I could make the gloss more henna concentrated (more henna, less coconut milk) and leave it on the same amount of time, or I could use the current recipe and leave it on longer. Maybe there are other solutions involving the acid, but I am too much of a newbie to suggest what I should do there. My goal is not to make the end result too much redder, but just to make the auburn fade less. I know I may not find the ideal combo, but suggestions are welcome.

thoughts?

:)

rchou
admin
Gloss

Hello,

A henna gloss should be just a regular henna mix, combined with equal parts or more conditioner (or yogurt or flax seed gel). You'll want to do a proper dye-release with the henna. Mix henna powder with an acidic liquid, cover and let sit for 8-12 hours, then mix it with conditioner and apply for 1-2 hours.

It sounds like you aren't releasing the dye properly, and leaving it on for too short of a time, which is causing the dye to not bind properly, and then fade quickly. I would also not recommend coconut milk, as it is alkaline, and will cancel out the acidity you need in your henna.

If you do all this, you may get a stronger dye, so start with 1 part henna, 3 parts conditioner, and leave for just an hour. See how that goes, and change the ratio or increase time as needed.

There is more info about glosses here: http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/chapters/chap12/12_fin...

RedMaple
Thanks, Rchou! I will give it

Thanks, Rchou! I will give it a shot.

To clarify, are you recommending no water, only acid in the dye release? And would I want to let it sit in the fridge or at room temp?

thanks!

rchou
admin
Acidic Liquid

Hello,

If your acidic component is a liquid, and mild, like apple juice, you can ust just that. If you use something like lemon juice, you can dilute it with water. If you are using an acidic powder, needless to say you'll need water :)

You want to let it sit at room temp, as the fridge will slow down the dye release to a snail's pace. However, the fridge is a good place to put it if you mix up henna and then realize you won't have time the next day.