Purple tint to brown hair

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shu
Purple tint to brown hair

I'm a man trying to cover a few white hairs. It turns out purple with henna.  Folks here say it's way cool. I go to the next town, and they all make fun of me. I saw a suggestion to add juice. I put a little grape juice (white, not purple) in because that's all I had at the time. It turned pink! How am I supposed to maintain a macho image like this? ;-()

So I tried some vinegar (how much?). It turned even purpler.

I see indigo mentioned here a few places. Still not sure exactly what it does. I can't find it locally. Where could I get it?

emerald888
Macho in purple

Hey there!

I've never seen unadulterated henna turn hair purple... but I may not be as seasoned as many lurking around the forum.

I'm curious; what type of henna you are using?  Do you have any photos of the color it has turned?  Do you have any of your hair that has come out in your brush to test out your mixtures before you put it on your head?

Indigo can be mixed with dye released henna to make brunette and auburn shades, but I would be hesitant to recommend it given that you're having unusual results with your henna.  It sounds like you should get the henna kinks worked out first.

rchou
admin
Henna?

Hello,

It sounds like you are not using pure henna, so it might either be an ineffective mix of henna and other plant powders, or it contains other chemicals. Henna should result, if anything, in orange/red stains, definitely not purple or pink. What product did you use?

Shu
Re: Purple tint to brown hair

I mixed some straight henna, black henna, and brown henna, all of which I got in the bulk section of our health food store. I asked the 'professional pharmacologist' there what's in the black and brown henna. She said nothing, there's different henna plants that make different colors. This is way different from what I've read online.

I tried grape juice and vinegar. Now I'll try some citrus juice and see what happens.

rchou
admin
colors of henna

I'm sorry to say that the information you got was entirely incorrect. Henna is only one color: reddish brown. Different crops of henna will produce slightly different results, but the only way to achieve brown or black with henna is to add in other dyes such as indigo, or potentially chemical dyes. Not all henna companies report these in their ingredients, either. Sad to say, if you got your henna from a health food store, it is most likely of questionable quality. Everything we sell at Ancient Sunrise is tested by an independent lab to ensure purity. I would definitely recommend looking into our products at www.mehandi.com and/or calling the customer service line, as we can help you figure out exactly what you need to get the color you want.

Shu
Re: Purple tint to brown hair

Enough of this bulk stuff...who knows what's in it.

I got some Medium Brown Rainbow Henna Hair Color. They say, "We also use the plants: Indigoferra, Cassia Obovata, Marigold & Chamomile Flowers to make the different shades. At least I know what's in it...if they're telling the truth.

Whereas the previous bulk 'henna' I was using turned my hair a light purple, This turns it dark purple, even with vinegar, juice, and tea that they recommend.

I wrote them a few weeks ago with no response.

Any suggestions, clues...?