Dye release-what am I doing wrong?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Madkitty
Dye release-what am I doing wrong?
For the life of me I can't get any of my batches to release dye like I see in the pics-I'm using sagara tazarine and it's fresh as it has a lively stain but I feel I must be doing something wrong-the first lot was 24 hours and no huge release and now I gave another lot I'm leaving for 36 hours. Could it be the temp as it's only being kept about 60deg as it's not too warm in the uk at the moment
Jen
Re: Dye release-what am I doing wrong?

I don't have any experience with that particular henna. Some are "shy" about showing their dye release. How are you checking for it?

Madkitty

its been mixed in a glass jar so I was waiting to see the separation at the side and have even moved the surface and nowt :-(

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

I think you paste is quite cold, why not take a look at our KISS recipe and method and see how we assure excellent dye release everytime !

Flavia

Jen

Some hennas don't show much that way. Try a dab on the heal of your hand for about 5 minutes, wipe it away and see if your skin is bright orange.

From what little I know about sahara tazarine... its Moroccan. Most Moroccan hennas are a little fast. Henna Caravan only uses Jamila which tends to be slow. Their method might well kill your paste.

That said, I agree with Flavia that you could stand to put it somewhere warmer. I like to leave mine stand at 70-75 degrees. Be careful with applying heat tho! If your paste gets above 80 degrees it will go FAST. Above 90  -you could kill it.

My suggestion is to use this batch, as is, on things that aren't important and make another batch testing for dye release as I suggested above. Take notes so you know how to do it next time!

Madkitty

ooops I meant 48 hours haha

Maghreb Henna

Sahara Tazarine doesn't show dye release in  that fashion  - it all becomes brown. It's also at its best when kept much warmer. I keep in at 90F. 

Leave it no longer than 24 hours, though I get my best with it at 6.

Are you using the recipe that I gave you on the other forum?

Heather@Artisti...

I get good dye release from Sahara Tazarine at about 12 hours (in summer weather, henna on the counter in a house that's probably an unfortunate 85F most of the time).

If you're getting a good stain...then dye release has happened! The best test, I think, is to take a bit of the henna you think is probably ready to use (after at least 12 hours for Moroccan mixed with lemon juice and cajeput essential oil at room temp, 24hrs for Jamila with the same), and put a dab on some area that stains well and quickly (palm/fingers, soles-or-sides-of-feet/toes) and leave it on just a minute or two. If it's orange...you're good to go!

I notice that the Sahara Tazarine's immediate color when tested in this fashion is much brighter orange, and Jamila's a bit more mellow... but ultimately they get to be comparable colors when they have fully darkened.