The one caveat ...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
glow worm
The one caveat ...

"If henna is mixed with a very sour liquid, the stain will be a very light coppery orange at first and gradually darken towards deep auburn." ~ p.2 of  http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/chapters/chap6/6_henna...

Okay, so what I wish to understand is whether the Sunshine Kit (200 g cassia to 50 g henna + 8 g kristalovino fruit acid powder,) will eventually darken hair with repeated applications?

My reason for asking this is:  that once a desired color result is obtained where further deepening/darkening of shade is undesireable, are additional applications of any %  of henna discouraged?

Basically, once color shade is reached, is one not  to use henna any more, but switch entirely over to cassia obovata for conditioning/shine?

My understanding is that henna (no matter what the % of the mix) will continue to darken, and with further applications will layer shade upon shade~ all of such layers which will continue to deepen/darken over time.

That's the one caveat I see with henna.  Say one reaches her "perfect shade" after but 1 application of whatever % of henna (from 100% down to 20% when mixed with cassia,).... no further application of henna can be made without darkening the current shade.  So, all of the benefits, shine, nourishment, etc. which are attributable to lawsonia must be relinquished?  And from then on out (save for root touch ups,) cassia obovata substituted as the ongoing plant powder to apply for shine, body, health?

Is this an accurate statement/question?

Thank you, glow worm.

rchou
admin
Sunshine

Hello,

Kristalovino is a very gentle acid, and because Sunshine is predominantly Cassia, the darkening will be quite negligible. It would take a loooong time for your hair to get too dark. Staying to just roots will help, if you are worried. Copperberry powder would also be a good alternative, as it has antioxidants that prevent deepening.

That quote pertains more so to something like lemon juice, which is very bright upon first rinse, and oxidizes to a very deep auburn within a week or so.

glow worm
thank you!

Thank you for taking time to respond.  I appreciate your knowledge of the products and the finer distinctions....   Any ideas as to why lemon juice behaves in such a way as to deepen the henna to auburn whilst the other fruit acids react differently?  Maybe I can find some answers in the material already explained.  Again, thanks for your posts, I really appreciate you for answering my queries.

m_moore
admin
http://www.tapdancinglizard

http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/Chapter_6_Henna_and_Ac...
This chapter explains the answers to your question very well =]