how to get a darker red on blonde hair

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
girlspeaksgeek
how to get a darker red on blonde hair

hi, so i just ordered my henna yesterday. I got the red henna and being a natural blonde i am wanting to get a darker red instead of an orange so i was wondering what ratios i should use of lemon juice and water? or if i should just use lemon juice only? I know it might take more than one whole head application to achieve the color i want but i just want to make sure i am not going to end up with bright red or orange hair with my first dye. I am also wondering how long i should leave it on? is more than 3 hours necessary to get a darker color or is it all in the mix? any tips from blondes turned ginger is greatly appreciated!

rchou
admin
Darker red

It may actually take a couple applications to get the right shade, depending on how your hair takes to it. Monsoon with cranberry juice would be a good way to go. Lemon juice results in initially a very bright gingery stain, which will continue to oxidize much deeper close to auburn as time goes on.

You best bet would be to use Monsoon (its the rosiest henna) with cranberry juice, whose antioxidants prevent over-darkening, and you will probably achieve the really rich, vibrant red after 2-3 applications. You may also want to add just a bit of Indigo to push the shade down a smidge if it's too bright.

girlspeaksgeek
i don't know if i got the

i don't know if i got the monsoon or not. it was labeled as red...the one inbetween fire and auburn color. what if i was to use lemon juice with the first application and cranberry juice for the next one? i already have lemon juice because i use it for hair rinses sometimes. i wouldn't mind it turning slightly auburn, but i'm looking for a rich darker red in the long run. i'm mostly concerned about it being bright orange for the first one lol i know it's going to be brighter until it oxidizes and that i'll probably be ordering more in a couple of weeks to be able to get it darker...my hair is medium blonde turning darker now and it has become brassy and mousey now which is why i hate it. but i guess my luck had to run out sometime with considering most blondes start getting darker in their teens. anyway, sorry for rambling.

rchou
admin
Monsoon

The henna contained in the red and fire kits are indeed monsoon. There won't be a huge difference in the color if you use lemon first and then cranberry. The results from the lemon may be deeper after oxidation, which will show more than the lighter, brighter result on top. As long as you don't mind the brightness of the first few days of oxidation, your result will be fine!

Another option would be monsoon with Malluma kristalovino acid powder instead of juices. This acid powder brings the tone of the henna down a few notches for a deeper color.

girlspeaksgeek
Ok thank you! I bought some
Ok thank you! I bought some cranberry juice yesterday so I will be using that the first time and see if I like the outcome after oxidation. Since I am probably going to be doing another application in a couple of weeks after the first one I'll have to decide if I'm going to use the cranberry juice again or lemon or the other stuff...which means I'll probably have more questions later lol thank you again for all of the info :)